136: Community Forums
137: Community Forums
138: Downloads
139: Community Forums
140: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
CFS 3 Status :: Archived
This is for General Discussions about the CFS3 game.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic    Revive this topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  CFS3

Topic Archived View previous topic :: View next topic  
JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:57 pm
Post subject: Re: CFS 3 Status

Yep that makes 3 of us JG300's in the air online in the last two days! SUUUUUWEEEE!!!!

NGNG...No Guts No Glory....wow, what a flashback! I still have that package, might have to reinstall it!

I've hit a snag with my CH Flightstick aileron input but will have that sorted out ASAP....don't know if I'll host tonight, maybe a little, then family time.

Yeah, you're right about things coming back in styl;e...or as we like piggies to say, sty'le....

JG300-fr8ycat
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:44 am

Well I tried to get in with no luck tonight. Double click the Gameranger desktop icon and get "No response from Game Ranger server".

Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:30 am

Think I got it figured out. was able to get in. turned off Spybot SD.

Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:36 am

Might not have been Spybot SD - I also had the same problem about 2 hours ago or so (7:00 PM EST, 4:00 your time) with the same error, and now it's working too. I run Spybot as well, but haven't touched it - they just mighta had a problem, there's an Alberta Clipper storm blowing through the northeast here, lotsa wind and cold, powers been going out in various areas.

JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:14 am

Today was a good day.

Hosted a few games, joined a few games, hung out here and there as opportunity permits to help a couple people get GameRanger figured out as they popped in.

Knocked off some rust, blew some SpitPests apart, got shot down plenty myself. Not a HUGE target-rich environment, but it'll grow since it seems young yet.

Yup, today was a good day!

(even IF these guys seem to do a lot of that youngster unlimited-ammo stuff......we'll learn 'em..... )

JG300-fr8ycat
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:19 am

Ah rats. New I should have checked in earlier. Nice job Stoopy.

Power User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:36 am

If this works I owe you big time!
cheers!
JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:21 pm

Well so far, it certainly seems that GameRanger works well and we had 4 people in a room last night - a new record for the week, LOL!

Thanks for joining us, Dakota, Fr8ycat and I enjoyed getting shot up again!

Dan736 showed up just as I was taking the room down, well after midnight. Sorry Dan!

Only bummer deal is, it looks like CFS3 definitely has issues playing online when it's running under Vista. WilliFock has been unable to join any rooms due to aircraft mismatch problems, even though he's both updates installed. I installed on Vista yesterday and duplicated the problem. It doesn't seem to be GameRanger's fault but more like some slight difference in the way XP and Vista see the validity of the A/C files, perhaps a checksum difference or something. Am going to experiment with what's going on.

As far as GameRanger goes it's been a very positive experience. two things to mention:

1 - I used a "safe" email account to register with GameRanger. This is a very dormant account that only gets 2 emails a week tops, from the same source. Since registering with GameRanger, I'm happy to report that NO new emails have shown up from any other sources - so they are certainly not sharing any emails for spam purposes, marketing, etc. That's great.

2 - As for any concern about potential spyware being installed, I've been keeping close tabs on this with tools like SpyBot S&D, etc., and all week my system has remained completely clean (just a couple of the usual web browser tracking cookies you get from some of the "other" sites).

3 - I've been hosting rooms in order to let new users try it out and see if they can join, and as a result ended up doing a fair amount of impromptu "tech support" this week, and some folks have experienced issues in joining rooms if they are coming straight from a private IP game. Had this happen myself. The fix was to go fire up CFS3 stand-alone and start a Quick Combat flight, then end it, and exit, then come back to GameRanger, and it all worked out. Sounds like typical fussy CFS3 behavior again, which has always been a little odd now & then.

We even met one flier who had joined our rooms and mentioned he was running Vista, which is perplexing, so it gives me hope that the Vista issue can be tracked down. Unfortunately that person lacked the comm skills or desire to tell us much about his install but swears he's definitely running Vista and isn't having the A/C mismatch issue.....so the solution could be simple, who knows, just a matter of figuring it out.

So overall it's looking GOOD and I'm not sure how we could have asked for a better solution!!

Scott_Kevill
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:32 pm

- JG300-Stoopy
Well so far, it certainly seems that GameRanger works well and we had 4 people in a room last night - a new record for the week, LOL!

Thanks for joining us, Dakota, Fr8ycat and I enjoyed getting shot up again!

Dan736 showed up just as I was taking the room down, well after midnight. Sorry Dan!

Only bummer deal is, it looks like CFS3 definitely has issues playing online when it's running under Vista. WilliFock has been unable to join any rooms due to aircraft mismatch problems, even though he's both updates installed. I installed on Vista yesterday and duplicated the problem. It doesn't seem to be GameRanger's fault but more like some slight difference in the way XP and Vista see the validity of the A/C files, perhaps a checksum difference or something. Am going to experiment with what's going on.

As far as GameRanger goes it's been a very positive experience. two things to mention:

1 - I used a "safe" email account to register with GameRanger. This is a very dormant account that only gets 2 emails a week tops, from the same source. Since registering with GameRanger, I'm happy to report that NO new emails have shown up from any other sources - so they are certainly not sharing any emails for spam purposes, marketing, etc. That's great.

2 - As for any concern about potential spyware being installed, I've been keeping close tabs on this with tools like SpyBot S&D, etc., and all week my system has remained completely clean (just a couple of the usual web browser tracking cookies you get from some of the "other" sites).

3 - I've been hosting rooms in order to let new users try it out and see if they can join, and as a result ended up doing a fair amount of impromptu "tech support" this week, and some folks have experienced issues in joining rooms if they are coming straight from a private IP game. Had this happen myself. The fix was to go fire up CFS3 stand-alone and start a Quick Combat flight, then end it, and exit, then come back to GameRanger, and it all worked out. Sounds like typical fussy CFS3 behavior again, which has always been a little odd now & then.

We even met one flier who had joined our rooms and mentioned he was running Vista, which is perplexing, so it gives me hope that the Vista issue can be tracked down. Unfortunately that person lacked the comm skills or desire to tell us much about his install but swears he's definitely running Vista and isn't having the A/C mismatch issue.....so the solution could be simple, who knows, just a matter of figuring it out.

So overall it's looking GOOD and I'm not sure how we could have asked for a better solution!!

Thanks for the kind (and detailed) feedback, Stoopy! While new to the PC, GameRanger has been the standard online gaming service for the Mac since 1999, so it can be trusted.

E-mail addresses are never shared with anyone else. You will get the occasional news update / newsletter with information specifically about GameRanger, such as tips on how to get the most out of its features, newly added games, etc. but that's easy enough to unsubscribe from.

Oh, btw, can you guys fix your forum so that it allows the Safari web browser? It rejects the User Agent, so I have to use FireFox.

Scott_Kevill
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:35 pm

I meant to say that GameRanger supports CFS1 as well, if anyone happens to feel nostalgic. Smile

JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:29 am

Hey Scott, thanks for dropping by and Welcome

I pretty much figured everything was secure but I just mentioned that after hearing some (unsubstantiated) rumor from someone on line....so thought I'd nip it in the bud.

CFS1 eh? Why I'd wager there'd be a few around here that'd be interested, cool!!

JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:56 am

Here's an example of what I would call the unsubstantiated, unfounded rumor mill....second post down:

www.sim-outhouse.com/s...php?t=8582

"I personally am not keen on joining the Game Ranger set-up as I don't want someone I don't know able to get into my computer..."

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

It...just leaves me speechless, is all. Someone has no problem posting their IP address publicly for private IP games, yet they think that GameRanger, which isolates the user's system from such threats, is a risk? Talk about getting things bass-ackwards.

It's a dang pity. But then again it takes all kinds, and in a case like that, the kind that would just say something so remarkably dumb with no basis in fact or anything to back it up whatsoever...I'm not a member over there which is a good thing since I'd be tempted to challenge such a baseless statement which just turns more people away from a good thing for no factual reason. But until someone does challenge rumors like that, the community will by and large just stumble along with it's head in the sand. Makes ya wanna bang your head into a brick wall to kill the pain....ARRRGHHH!!!!

Sadly, half the people I meet on GR tell me to go to SOH and when I do, I see this, and remember why I quit going there long ago.

BTW I had a GREAT time flying with some old friends tonight and the only time they "took over my computer" was when they shot the hell out of my BF109....LMAO!!!

JG300-Ascout
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:10 am

I am so trying to get up and running on CFS3 (with help from friends) so I can come up there and kick your stinky butt* in a P-38 or B-25 brawl! Laughing

*(Said with all due respect to a superior ossifer an' all)

Razz

JG300-Stoopy
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:40 pm

Well if'n it's help ya need finding them discs, we's sure to aid a hand, I'll certainly vouch for ya as a legal and valid owner of the original product.....lemme know, and there's no better time than the present to jump in...heck, with a modicum of effort, JG300 would own the GameRanger skies*...

Respect takes a back seat to truth....damn proud to have a stinky butt!!!! Laughing

* Someone has to throw down the gauntlet, after all!

Scott_Kevill
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:54 am

- JG300-Stoopy

I just re-read this and it looks interesting. Can you explain in more detail what's happening here? GameRanger is supposed to connect using Join Private Game. It sets up CFS3's saved preferences before launching CFS3 so it should already have the new IP address saved. (And it should dismiss that Join Private Game box by itself).

- JG300-Stoopy
Here's an example of what I would call the unsubstantiated, unfounded rumor mill....second post down:

www.sim-outhouse.com/s...php?t=8582

"I personally am not keen on joining the Game Ranger set-up as I don't want someone I don't know able to get into my computer..."

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

It...just leaves me speechless, is all. Someone has no problem posting their IP address publicly for private IP games, yet they think that GameRanger, which isolates the user's system from such threats, is a risk? Talk about getting things bass-ackwards.

It's a dang pity. But then again it takes all kinds, and in a case like that, the kind that would just say something so remarkably dumb with no basis in fact or anything to back it up whatsoever...I'm not a member over there which is a good thing since I'd be tempted to challenge such a baseless statement which just turns more people away from a good thing for no factual reason. But until someone does challenge rumors like that, the community will by and large just stumble along with it's head in the sand. Makes ya wanna bang your head into a brick wall to kill the pain....ARRRGHHH!!!!

Sadly, half the people I meet on GR tell me to go to SOH and when I do, I see this, and remember why I quit going there long ago.

BTW I had a GREAT time flying with some old friends tonight and the only time they "took over my computer" was when they shot the hell out of my BF109....LMAO!!!

Thanks. Smile I've replied to that thread and it's all sorted out. They've been set in their ways for a while now, so it'll take a little time for them to get used to the change.

Post new topic    Revive this topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  CFS3
Page 2 of 3