FT-17 / M1917 question
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: FT-17 / M1917 question Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:30 pm
    ----
Hello guys,

Here is a question from Jack Hudock, Annapolis, MD USA :

"Some FT-17 tanks clearly have a "hump" or bend in the support bar for the return rollers. See the FT-17 in the Parque Regional de Manutenção/1, Vila Militar, Rio de Janeiro, that you have posted, and the Six Ton Tank Model 1917 – Patton Museum, Fort Knox, KY, also your posting. I initially thought that this was one of the differences between the FT-17 and the Six Ton US version, but that is obviously not the case. What are your thoughts on this?"
Note that few tanks have that bend on the torsion bar..

Second question :

"It appears that some 37mm gun versions of the FT-17 were armed with a Schneider SA 18/L21 (vertical sliding breech block, as in the example in the Finnish Armour Museum), while others apparently had the Hotchkiss 1916 trench gun (eccentric breech), as it its the case at Aberdeen Proving Ground. (As the exhaust is on the right in this Aberdeen specimen, I suspect it is a FT-17, not a Six Ton.) Again, your thoughts, please."

P-O

#2: Re: FT-17 / M1917 question Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:44 pm
    ----
Supposedly, K-K-Katy (name of a popular WWI-era song) at Aberdeen is an FT-17 with an M1917 turret... Unfortunately I cant find any pics of it...

Neil

#3: Re: FT-17 / M1917 question Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:46 pm
    ----
Courtesy of Chris Neel :

P-O

#4: Re: FT-17 / M1917 question Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:07 pm
    ----
That sure is a ......

D-D-D-D DUSTY, K-K-K-K-KATY !!!

D-D-D-DON

#5: Re: FT-17 / M1917 question Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:48 am
    ----
L-L-L-LOL

P-P-P-O

#6: Re: FT-17 / M1917 question Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:17 pm
    ----
Here is a comparison photo, taken today. It shows a French FT17 w/ US model (Afghan vehicle), side by side.

Don

#7: Re: FT-17 / M1917 question Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:19 am
    ----
To me that would be two FTs since they both have the segmented wheels. Pierre and I seem to be alone in agreeing on this point, but if you have a look at the Unknown M1917 thread he has done a very good job of explaining it. The wheels on the left hand tank are what you get when the wood has gone from both sides of the wheel, and only been replaced on the outside.

#8: Re: FT-17 / M1917 question Author: Esa_MuikkuLocation: Tampere, Finland PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:22 am
    ----
The Renault F.T. or Renault F.T. Modele 1917 (as is the official name) at the Parola Armour Museum in Finland has a Soviet 37 mm gun in lieu of the original 37 mm Puteaux gun.

-> AFV News Discussion Board