How do you guys glue down tiny rubble?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: How do you guys glue down tiny rubble? Author: geoffsteer PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:28 pm
    ----
Hi Guys-
Tiny rubble? I mean small granular rubble like chunks of coal. I would guess that a contact cement would be poured into the area and the rubble thrown on to the glue. Its the next step I'm wondering about. That step being, once the rubble is glued down how do add more glue so you can create a small heap/pile of rubble? It seems to me that this next step would be tricky as you would be putting that contact cement on top of the first initial pile of rubble, hard to do without disturbing it. So, what do you guys do?
With thanks-
Geoff Steer [;-{/)

#2: Re: How do you guys glue down tiny rubble? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:21 pm
    ----
Geoff,
When I've done something like this, I use my "universal" adhesive, diluted Borden's white glue. It's pourable, yet dries as usual...for your "pile", I'd experiment with making a slurry of the gravel (or pre-fabbing a "mound" with paper mache using....Yep!, Borden's diluted white glue or clay, and sticking the final layer over that). Repeat as necessary for complete coverage.
I use flat pastel artists chalks to get the flat look, since where the dried glue shows may be a little shiny.

I like white glue because you can moderate the consistancey, and it's water soluble so cleanup is easy.

I'm sure there are alternate, and better methods, but that's what I'd do.

#3: Re: How do you guys glue down tiny rubble? Author: Dave_Block PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:35 pm
    ----
A minor variation on Ascout's great tip, check out the RR section of the hobby shop for Woodlands Scenics 'Scenic Cement'. It looks remarkably like thinned down Borden's white glue but has the advantage of drying to a matte finish (make sure it has 'matte formula' on the label). It can be hand-brushed or sprayed with a pump sprayer, not recommended for your airbrush. Use an eye-dropper for tight spaces.
HTH, Dave

#4: Re: How do you guys glue down tiny rubble? Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:01 pm
    ----
I've used Ascout's diluted white glue method to build model stone fences in both 1/72 and 1/285 scales. Just have to allow each "layer" of stone to set up a bit before applying the next one. Once everything has thoroughly dried you can apply washes or dry-brushing to get the final appearance you want.

David

#5: Re: How do you guys glue down tiny rubble?Thanks Guys! Author: geoffsteer PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:11 pm
    ----
Hi Guys-
Thanks for the suggestions! I've ordered the Woodlands Scenics 'Scenic Cement' from my local hobby shop.
Thanks again-
Geoff Steer

#6: See latest (or so) Model Railroader Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:26 am
    ----
MR magazine is running a series on a beginner's layout construction. The last issue that came by subscription told how to attach track ballast. I forget the exact method but it was new to me and specifically avoided the semi-gloss overcoat you get from spraying diluted glue over placed ballast.

. . . So check a newsstand.

KL

#7: Re: How do you guys glue down tiny rubble? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:26 pm
    ----
'Back in the day' Rolling Eyes

... when I did a few diarammas, I used 'wood putty' or 'wood filler'. It hardens realistically and can be molded, shaped, and painted.

Don't know if there is anything in the hobby shops like that, but it worked for me, with good results.

-> AFV News Discussion Board