Anyone have any Ideas on this Sherman based vehicle??
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Anyone have any Ideas on this Sherman based vehicle?? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:56 pm
    ----
Anyone have any ideas on this, the pic is bad, but the tube looks to be very large, from Victory at Sea, supposely D-Day. Looks larger than a 105 to me...

#2: Re: Anyone have any Ideas on this Sherman based vehicle?? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:18 pm
    ----
I'd say it's an M12, I don't know the details but I believe they were readied for D-Day and used in NW Europe afterwards.

#3: Re: Anyone have any Ideas on this Sherman based vehicle?? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:06 pm
    ----
Thanks Trevor, the high side threw me off I guess.....

#4: Re: Anyone have any Ideas on this Sherman based vehicle?? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:15 pm
    ----
Yes, I've not seen one set for deep wading like that before - you've found a fairly rare pic, I'd say.

#5: Re: Anyone have any Ideas on this Sherman based vehicle?? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:46 pm
    ----
Trevor, I took a photo of the TV. The photo is part of the Victory At Sea series., the D-Day episode ...what do we think the pipe looking object coming out of the side by the star is? any ideas anyone? some sort of exhaust?

#6: Re: Anyone have any Ideas on this Sherman based vehicle?? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:20 pm
    ----
It looks to me like plywood sides and the pipe may just be stabilizer/support for the 'fording'structure.

I assume the 'kit' is temporary, so being made out of plywood makes sense, for a 'throw-away' attachment.

Just a thought, from a very cluttered mind Rolling Eyes
Don

#7: Re: Anyone have any Ideas on this Sherman based vehicle?? Author: JaredLocation: Wherever the army sends me PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:11 am
    ----
- Dontos
It looks to me like plywood sides and the pipe may just be stabilizer/support for the 'fording'structure.

I assume the 'kit' is temporary, so being made out of plywood makes sense, for a 'throw-away' attachment.

Its the engine exhausts...

#8: Re: Anyone have any Ideas on this Sherman based vehicle?? Author: binder001 PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:17 am
    ----
Agreed - the exhaust. On the M12 the exhausts were directed through the sides versus at the rear as in most M3/M4 medium tank chassis.

Gary

#9: Re: Anyone have any Ideas on this Sherman based vehicle?? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:28 am
    ----
Next question, plywood sides or steel plate? what do you all think? and thanks a lot

#10: Re: Anyone have any Ideas on this Sherman based vehicle?? Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:45 am
    ----
I am opting for canvas screens, similar to those on the Universal carriers- these things are just to keep the water out of the open troop compartment, not to offer ballistic protection. By the time the artillery is landed, there is usually no more enemy threat on the beach.

Jens O.

-> AFV News Discussion Board