What is this light amphibious tank?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: What is this light amphibious tank? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:32 pm
    ----
Hello,

I would like this light amphibious tank to be identified, please :

thanks

Pierre-Olivier

Last edited by the_shadock on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: What is this light amphibious tank? Author: claude_GILLONO PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
    ----
Probably a Soviet prototype
HTH

#3: Re: What is this light amphibious tank? Author: Vivman PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:28 pm
    ----
My guess is something Japanese. The turret looks very much like the one used on a Type 2594 reconnaissance tank, so too do the tracks. I am currently unable to place the hull however.

#4: Re: What is this light amphibious tank? Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:54 pm
    ----
Looking through one of my reference books it looks alot like one of the Russian T-33 prototypes, just by the shape of the upper hull and turret.

The only thing that is not the same is the drive sprocket so if anyone has more on it I would look there.

#5: Re: What is this light amphibious tank? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:21 pm
    ----
That's a Japanese SR amphibious light tank, probably an SR-2 Ro-Go, though I only have a couple of books that cover it.

These are perhaps the best links online:

ww2photo.mimerswell.co...b/sr-2.htm
mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/...icles.html

#6: Re: What is this light amphibious tank? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:10 pm
    ----
This comes from the 5 volume set by Andrzej M. Tomczyk and AJ Press on Japanese Vehicles, it is the best reference on the subject. Mr Tomczk has done a greaat job. Text is in Polish and English, 1/35 scale drawings and a ton of photographs.
see pic below.....

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

#7: Re: What is this light amphibious tank? Author: JaredLocation: Wherever the army sends me PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:29 am
    ----
Well one thing is certain - nobody has got it right so far...

#8: Re: What is this light amphibious tank? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:44 am
    ----
Jared, why do you say that? Do you not think it's an SR?

#9: Re: What is this light amphibious tank? Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:17 am
    ----
Well, since it comes from a site called "Pacificwrecks", I'd think that's somewhat of a give away.

#10: Re: What is this light amphibious tank? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:47 pm
    ----
Hello,

I've just found the page where the photo comes from :

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/tank/sr/kokopo.html

The tank is described as a Vickers SR I light amphibious tank displayed at Kokopo (East New Britain, Papua New Guinea).

P-O

Last edited by the_shadock on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

#11: Re: What is this light amphibious tank? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:52 pm
    ----
Doesn't look like this to me, what do you guys think? I have no idea

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:31 am; edited 3 times in total

#12: Re: What is this light amphibious tank? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:58 pm
    ----
For me, the SR 2 plans you showed were closer than the SR 1.

#13: Re: What is this light amphibious tank? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:29 am
    ----
Could it be a version of the Vickers amphibious tank? I see in Tanks of the World 1915-1945 by Chamberlain and Ellis that "considerable sales were made and sold to China, Dutch East Indies, Thailand and the USSR"
I know this isn't it but it seems to look similar...long foredeck..angled floats.
]

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total

#14: Re: What is this light amphibious tank? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:46 am
    ----
I think SR-2 looks the closest.

#15: Re: What is this light amphibious tank? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:03 am
    ----
Anyone have a pic of the Vickers that went to the Dutch East Indies or Thailand? this is one in Russia, again I know its not the same as this vehicle, just doesn't look right to me. We could all chip in and send someone to get a better look, I have no plan until April ....I guess I could go if I have to...

-> AFV News Discussion Board