Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#46: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:30 pm
    ----
OK who do I have to bribe and how much to get a day there with someone removing all the tarps so I can image the vehicles...

#47: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:09 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Neil,

This is my listing of M60 series at Knox. All can be verified by pictures unless in italics.

M60A1 SN unknown, RN 09A12771 LST building
M60A3 [i]SN 3621A, JJ009C
LST Building

Thanks - a few on your list I didnt know about it!

Is there a third "M60" in the LST Building by chance? I have an "SN" 913881 (USMC RN or an old-style RN?)... Seems suspicious...

Neil

#48: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:22 pm
    ----
Jim,

I wasn't kidding when I told Dontos I'd pay for the fuel/ make a donation to move these old girls out in the open. It would be worth it to get some good pictures. There's at least two I'd do that for.

Neil,

I think some like the Copple Center tank is one of them but I cannot find the RN with all the paint. Those tanks in the LST and other indoor storage have eluded my camera, I deduced their numbers based on pictures I've seen.

#49: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:28 pm
    ----
The LST has:

M48A2C: SN 923
M60 (slick) SN 913881
M60A1: SN: 09A12771
M60A3 SN 3621A RN JJ009J

Was in Richardson this morning. Took a couple of M48A5E1 but didn't have any real time to untarp her.

I'll post some of the 'today' stuff a little later

Don

#50: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:34 pm
    ----
I tracked these down today. They had gone missing, but are just getting a fresh coat of paint.

AND.... The M-1IP that used to be next to 16th CAV HQ Building

Don

#51: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:27 pm
    ----
Don,
Can I also give you my first born child? Confused

I'll see what I can do for your request... <grumble>

Neil

#52: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:07 pm
    ----
HA HA HA....thanks

BTW

The FT17 that was in the museum and then moved to RMP,....left today for Carlylse Barracks Penn.

Photos to follow

Don

#53: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:00 pm
    ----
Todays 'fun'.....
opening up the 3 ton ford

And then climbing in... Talk about lack of room!!

Before this, I watched our FT17 get loaded up on a truck for a one-way trip to Pennslyvania.

All kinds of fun

Don

#54: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:04 pm
    ----
Shouldn't this man be in a doughboy's uniform? And why does he have his knees in his armpits? Shocked

#55: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:14 pm
    ----
I've been cross-taining. My feet are on the pedals, needless to say there isn't much room in this tank.

The really interesting fact is the engine has been replaced with a flat-head 4cyl engine (WWII Jeep?). The 3ton was used by the Ft Knox commanders for 'pass & review' ceremonies many years ago. The engine has been installed in the machine gunners position. immediately behind the MG is the radiator and then the engine. The rear compartment is empty except for the 'modern' final drive and transmission. It has seen a considerable amount of 'reengineering' to fit the 'modern' drive train & power plant.

This two man tank, has been converted to a One Man tank.

Don

#56: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:44 pm
    ----
With the average coat size in 1918 a 38 it might have been easier to get in that little tank

where in PA is the FT17 headed?

#57: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:32 am
    ----
Neil,

I looked at Don's "Armored Ghosts" site. This is what I noticed,
(Don, please take no offense)

The M48 at Stithton traffic circle was an M48A2C IIRC. Only knew of one A3 on post and she's in the museum

5-22) USMC M60A1 SN 7109, USMC RN 399630
5-13) M60A3 at Sadowski Field House should be SN 2448A, correct RN
5-35) M60A3 2004A RN JJ0457
5-34) M60A1 8587 RN JJ010G
5-32) M60A3 2278A RN JJ04D9

About those SN/RN's I posted in italics, I was scratching my head on where I got them from and finally figured it out. They are from the official Patton Museum web site Patton Museum.

So where are these missing tanks or do they exist?

BTW, I can't prove it but I'm pretty sure JJ00ZW is SN 9349, the Copple Center Tank.

#58: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:46 am
    ----
- Joe_D
Neil,

I looked at Don's "Armored Ghosts" site. This is what I noticed,
(Don, please take no offense)

The M48 at Stithton traffic circle was an M48A2C IIRC. Only knew of one A3 on post and she's in the museum

This one? I honestly don't now recall if I took this, or if it was "A-109", aka, "Bob Steinbrunn(sp?), the chopper pilot"

P.S....Wasn't that the old main PX there in the background?

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total

#59: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:04 am
    ----
That's the one I'm talking about.

I remember when the tracks ran through that circle.

That building is "One Stop" as of last August. Spent my last day in the Army in there. Gave me a flag and DD-214 along with a retired sticker and lapel pin. Only thing I didn't get was a "Gold Watch" Laughing

#60: Re: Armored Ghosts of Fort Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:05 am
    ----
JOE

All these damn M60s are getting me confused... Wink

I'm finding alot of past info is conflicting, so I'm in the process of going to each source, getting new pictures, and annotating any information. (just about then, someone moves a tank, so it then becomes 'Wheres Waldo?')

No offense taken. Just want to get it right. Guess I just ain't there yet.

Tanks alot
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board