The Henschel Tiger Factory
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: The Henschel Tiger Factory Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:46 am
    ----
www.alanhamby.com/factory1.shtml

#2: Re: The Henschel Tiger Factory Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:09 am
    ----
WOW Shocked !

Never have seen any of those pictures. Just incredible.

Thanks for sharing.

#3: Re: The Henschel Tiger Factory Author: blair PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:51 am
    ----
Absolutely amazing pics...thanks so much for the post!

#4: Re: The Henschel Tiger Factory Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:30 pm
    ----
Brilliant! Thank You!

#5: Re: The Henschel Tiger Factory Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:40 pm
    ----
Good pics!

#6: Re: The Henschel Tiger Factory Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:21 pm
    ----
Wow, that's a detailer's dream of heaven! Awesome pics!

#7: Re: The Henschel Tiger Factory Author: rexross PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:25 am
    ----
WOW ! That site knocks me out. I thank you very much.

#8: Re: The Henschel Tiger Factory Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:38 am
    ----
It blew me away, too. Just stumbled across the site.

I hesitated about posting it here, figured all you guys had already seen it.

Mabe we should e-mail Mr. Hamby and congratulate him on an outstanding job. I'm no good at formal stuff, mabe Doug would volunteer...? Razz

#9: Re: The Henschel Tiger Factory Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:03 am
    ----
- Dennis_Smith
It blew me away, too. Just stumbled across the site.

I hesitated about posting it here, figured all you guys had already seen it.

Mabe we should e-mail Mr. Hamby and congratulate him on an outstanding job. I'm no good at formal stuff, mabe Doug would volunteer...? Razz

Done, and full credit to you in the message, Dennis, for making us aware of Alan's excellent site (accompanied by an invitation to visit us here, naturally). Hope you all explored it thoroughly, there's a lot more there than just the Henschel Factory section!

#10: Re: The Henschel Tiger Factory Author: west-frontLocation: Australia PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:17 am
    ----
Fantastic resource, kudos to that bloke for sharing the data

#11: Re: The Henschel Tiger Factory Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:07 pm
    ----
Heard back from Alan. He has looked in and appreciates everybody's kind words and notes that he expects to further expand and develop his site, so I suggest you bookmark it, if you haven't already.

#12: Re: The Henschel Tiger Factory Author: Jim_Coles PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:48 am
    ----
A really great site! It's easy to see why Tiger tank production was so low. Only one factory, pretty small compared to US and Soviet complexes, and look at the huge amount of time and effort that was involved in doing machining and boring work on a complete Tiger hull. There also appears to be a lot of work done piecemeal on and around the tank rather than on an assembly line elsewhere, like the road wheel assembly.

#13: Re: The Henschel Tiger Factory Author: mailalanLocation: Newnan, GA, United States PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:09 pm
    ----
Thanks very much for the kind words. I'm very pleased that you all found the site useful. I plan to add much more info as time permits.

You are right about alot of the machining being done on-site in the Henschel factory. There was a large number of suppliers that manufactured just about everything that went into the Tiger, but the final machining and assembly there at Kassel took a huge number of man hours to complete. Of course hindsight is 20/20 now with regards to the "quality versus quantity" approach. But at the time that was the German way of doing things.

I'm glad you found the factory photos as fascinating as I did. That would have been an amazing sight to have been there at the factory and seen all those Tigers coming down the assembly line. I guess we're lucky those photos were taken and survived the war.

- Alan Hamby

#14: Re: The Henschel Tiger Factory Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:00 pm
    ----
Welcome Alan,

Hopefully you will find our informal group interesting enough to participate with.

Yes, those photos were amazing. Makes you feel like your on the assembly line floor. Makes a interesting comparison to the Detroit plant.

-> AFV News Discussion Board