Jagdpanzer 38T at Ordnance Museum
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Jagdpanzer 38T at Ordnance Museum Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:44 pm
    ----
I just got this in an e-mail from Military Trader. I was curious about the color scheme. Never seen that one before.

Here's the article:
Hetzer

#2: Re: Jagdpanzer 38T at Ordnance Museum Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:05 pm
    ----
I'll see what I can find out when I'm up there on the 7th. It looks like it is in the warehouse where the Christie and cut open T-34 are. The lights in there are industrial Sodium lights so that may be changig the color balance

#3: Re: Jagdpanzer 38T at Ordnance Museum Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:28 pm
    ----
I don't think sodium lights can produce that drastic a color shift. Yeeeew. Confused

#4: Re: Jagdpanzer 38T at Ordnance Museum Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:01 am
    ----
I've taken a bunch in there on Bob's tours and the color shift, at least with my rig, goes into the green range. never quite that extreme Confused

Piney

#5: Re: Jagdpanzer 38T at Ordnance Museum Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:06 am
    ----
Same here, never seen that shade, thankfully. I think I just spit up in my mouth a little.

#6: Re: Jagdpanzer 38T at Ordnance Museum Author: west-frontLocation: Australia PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:17 am
    ----
Well thats ...um...Different Wink

#7: Re: Jagdpanzer 38T at Ordnance Museum Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:15 am
    ----
I'm going to check with Ed next week and see what he says about the color but I agree it is a shocking combination

#8: Re: Jagdpanzer 38T at Ordnance Museum Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:41 am
    ----
Maybe it was the Czech's form of sabotage. They couldn't get away with painting a bullseye on it so they did this.

"Yes, Herr Colonel, it's the latest in camouflage." Wink

#9: Re: Jagdpanzer 38T at Ordnance Museum Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:36 am
    ----
Wow!!! This must be the very first attempt at the distinct, not to say unique, Czech Mlok (salamander) camouflage pattern produced and used during the 60's and 70's. Odd and ugly ... indeed.

#10: Re: Jagdpanzer 38T at Ordnance Museum Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:06 pm
    ----
That colour scheme was used before the War on the Czech LTH tank...

#11: Re: Jagdpanzer 38T at Ordnance Museum Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:02 pm
    ----
Here's a wartime photo of a variant in the same scheme:

www.achtungpanzer.com/...rgehet.jpg

This was a distinctive pattern of one of the Czech plants. Can't speak for the actual hues used in the museum's piece, but the lightest one was some shade of yellow.

KL

#12: Re: Jagdpanzer 38T at Ordnance Museum Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:10 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
That colour scheme was used before the War on the Czech LTH tank...

As it was on the LT-35 and LT-38; I am now reminded. It was just that I flipped through the camouflage patterns just the other day and came across the Mlok and a similar Romanian sniper camo ... they really stick out from the rest.

Last edited by Rikard_Hufschmied on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total

#13: Re: Jagdpanzer 38T at Ordnance Museum Author: Jim_Coles PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:09 am
    ----
The article does mention the unusual colours found when they were stripping it for restoration, so maybe the scheme is accurate!

#14: Re: Jagdpanzer 38T at Ordnance Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:00 am
    ----
Still kinda funny though... Since the Hetzer was designed and built for the Wehrmacht, rather than Czechoslovakia. It didnt exist, even as a concept AFAIK, before the German occupation in March 1939... One would think it would be in German colors...

Unless the Skoda folks actually repainted it in Czechoslovak colors in the time between the Germans presumably abandoned the plant and the Americans arrived? Or perhaps painted it in Czechoslovak colors for handover to the Americans?

Along these lines, now I'm kinda wondering if this Hetzer was the last one off the line akin to the Panther & Jagdpanther built for the Brits...

Neil

#15: Re: Jagdpanzer 38T at Ordnance Museum Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:26 pm
    ----
On the Dutch modelsite www.twenot.nl there is also a topic about this colourscheme and one of the members over there wrote that is was a experimental colourscheme called ''Verwirrungstarnung''. According to him it was an experimental c/s to confuse enemy gunners. Also in his message was that according to German documents this camo was painted on several JPz 38 Hetzers in the beginning og 1945.

If this is all true I don't know....

-> AFV News Discussion Board