T28 Superheavy ( AGAIN??)
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: T28 Superheavy ( AGAIN??) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:19 pm
    ----
I had dug up this photo awhile back, but have just recently been able to scan it (along with many others) on the T28 at APG.

For Bob & Neil:

Regards
Don

#2: Re: T28 Superheavy ( AGAIN??) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:50 pm
    ----
A photo of Pilot #2 at Ft Knox.

This is the vehicle that eventually goes to Yuma Az and is destroyed in a vehicle fire. (??)

Does that kinda sound like possibly falling victim to premature detonation / combustion of internally stored ammunition ??. Shocked

Kinda gets one thinking about the vague explaination for the loss. Cool

Just a couple of thoughts, from a cluttered mind...

Don

#3: Re: T28 Superheavy ( AGAIN??) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:17 pm
    ----
- Dontos
I had dug up this photo awhile back, but have just recently been able to scan it (along with many others) on the T28 at APG.

Regards
Don

<Ahem> Wink

I posted this one a while back but cant find the post anymore... Though your scan is much better....

Actually this picture is a bit of the "missing link" for the T28. Note "TEC ERDL" on the fenders - that stands for Test and Evaluation Command Engineer Research and Development Laboratory - which may help explain how it wound up at Fort Belvoir, at the old Engineer Proving Ground.

Neil

#4: Re: T28 Superheavy ( AGAIN??) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:29 pm
    ----
I couldn't find the previous post either, and knew the image had come up as a topic of interest.

I have scanned a number of APG based photos from a 1948 LST loading excercise as well as a couple from a 1946 APG demonstration doing a drive - by & loading onto a 'Dragon-Wagon'.

Have found some additional documents which fill out a bit more of the 'time-line'. Nothing conclusive on the Yuma tests or incident. The hunt still goes on to fill in the void.

Don

#5: Re: T28 Superheavy ( AGAIN??) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:33 pm
    ----
Cool, please post any info/pics you find. I am particularly interested in the Belvoir part of the timeline... Less so probably in the Yuma story, since I assume thats the "lost" one... Although it would be funny if it was found derelict on the range somewhere...

You'd think it would be difficult to completely destroy, without any trace, unless it was actually scrapped...

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board