Duke John Wayne-- tanker roles
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Duke John Wayne-- tanker roles Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:00 pm
    ----
Clearly the tank is evil incarnate. Twisted Evil

See: www.abebooks.com/servl...8%26y%3D13

#17: Re: Duke John Wayne-- tanker roles Author: west-frontLocation: Australia PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:19 am
    ----
I remember an episode of Combat! where Sgt Saunders took over command of a "German" tank as well

#18: Re: Duke John Wayne-- tanker roles Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:23 am
    ----
There are 2 different movies that I know of with the same title: "The Tanks are Coming" (1941, 1951). I had gotten that mixed up with one of Sam's other movies about GI's fighting Chicom armor-- either Steel Helmet or Fixed Bayonets!. It had a Stuart vismod commie tank.

The Jim Belushi's "Sahara" is good.

I liked "Tank" for the Sherman.

"Sands of Iwo Jima" had the M4(105), the Duke plays a rifleman. Yes, he does assault the beaches in the amtracs... I forgot that he did.

There have been alot of movies with armor, afv's etc. But has any movie been done specifically for any tankers? I am reading thru some Normandy armor history and they have a very small section on Wilfred Harris-- Firefly "Ace".
"A Bridge Too Far" might me the closest to showing tankers as main characters (Michael Caine); however, through out the movie they are still overshadowed by the role of the airborne (Sean Connery, Robert Redford).

#19: Re: Duke John Wayne-- tanker roles Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:29 am
    ----
- SHAWN
"A Bridge Too Far" might me the closest to showing tankers as main characters (Michael Caine); however, through out the movie they are still overshadowed by the role of the airborne (Sean Connery, Robert Redford).

Might have to do with the fact that it was the airborne troops fighting at that "Bridge too far"... Wink

John Wayne did play a lot of army types, especially old cavalrymen (the cavalry being one of the founding fathers of the armoured force) and of course, a green beret- admittedly not one of his better movies. And lest we forget, at 6' 4" the Duke would not have been a credible tanker, which in my recollection tend to be on the shorter side, Dudley Moore and Danny DeVito would make excellent, but rather unbelievable tankers.

Which reminds me, add Eddie Murphy and Steve Martin to the list, although Sgt Bilko only rode an APC, he was involved in the hovertank program. Mr. Green

Oh, and BTW, is is Clark Gable. Wink

Jens O.

#20: Re: Duke John Wayne-- tanker roles Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:36 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
Dudley Moore and Danny DeVito would make excellent, but rather unbelievable tankers.

Which reminds me, add Eddie Murphy and Steve Martin to the list, although Sgt Bilko only rode an APC, he was involved in the hovertank program. Mr. Green

Oh, and BTW, is is Clark Gable. Wink

Jens O.

See: Michael Dukakis...

Keep your "hovertanks"...I want time in the.....EM-50 Urban Assault Vehicle

(the only way to fight....)

#21: Re: Duke John Wayne-- tanker roles Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:31 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
And lest we forget, at 6' 4" the Duke would not have been a credible tanker, which in my recollection tend to be on the shorter side, Dudley Moore and Danny DeVito would make excellent, but rather unbelievable tankers.

I'm not sure if that was an intentional reference or not - so 10 points to anyone who can name a film about tanks that did star Dudley Moore (clue: also starred Eddie Murphy).

#22: Re: Duke John Wayne-- tanker roles Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:47 pm
    ----
Was it Deal of the Century or something like that?

#23: Re: Duke John Wayne-- tanker roles Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:50 pm
    ----
Nope. I believe the story was about Iraq invading Kuwait - long before it happened.

#24: Re: Duke John Wayne-- tanker roles Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:51 pm
    ----
Its .... "BEST DEFENSE"

Don

#25: Re: Duke John Wayne-- tanker roles Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:46 pm
    ----
Spot on! To be honest, not one of the greatest films ever made - but definitely the best one about tanks starring Dudley Moore!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_Defense

As I recall it had the usual tank film 'tardis' issue - i.e. there is enough room inside any tank in a movie for it to contain the tank crew, a movie camera and a film crew and still be spacious!

#26: Re: Duke John Wayne-- tanker roles Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:59 pm
    ----
Do you remember the 'Birthing' scene in "Big Red One". It took place in the turret of a tank. Not too much room, as I think it was in the turret of an M48.

Not a tank movie, but damn good for a 'grunt' movie.

Although my favorite still is 'Cross of Iron'. A Sam Peckinpaugh directed movie. VERY ACCURATE!

Don

#27: Re: Duke John Wayne-- tanker roles Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:15 am
    ----
Don, dont know what Sam Fuller actually used to shoot the int. of the tank but all the armor in the movie were M51 Shermans.

I think that the closest "historical" incident to the birthing that Sam based that on was that it had been done in the back of a half-track.
I always thought that it would have been to difficult to get a pregnant lady into a tank! but it fit into what Sam was trying to tell. There isnt enough room to get a pg woman thru a hatch and past the breech and all that crap... I dont know why he put her in the tank? First! like hell SHE would let you get her into the tank in that condition in the first place!!! anyway...

#28: Re: Duke John Wayne-- tanker roles Author: RayV PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:58 am
    ----
In "The Fighting Seabeas", John Wayne did battle to the death on a tracked vehicle, though it was a construction battalion bulldozer.

Ray

#29: Re: Duke John Wayne-- tanker roles Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:18 pm
    ----
It has been a long time since I saw that movie. Does he die in that scene or am I thinking of his son and the dozer in "The Green Berets"?
SR

#30: Re: Duke John Wayne-- tanker roles Author: binder001 PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:44 pm
    ----
To the earlier comment about movies centering on tankers;

"The Tanks Are Coming" - 1951 version - it was SUPPOSED to be a tribute to Lafeyette Pool but fell into the hands of some hack writers. This would probably be the type of tanker movie that John Wayne would have been in. Still great Shermans, M32B1, etc.

"Target Zero" - impossible to find, but US infantry and a British tank crew in Korea (starring an M4A1E8). Lots of good Sherman footage.

"Sahara" - IMHO the 1943 version is best, but the remake is OK. Can't center too much more on tankers than that one!

"The Beast" - a Soviet tank with added flamethrower, motion detector, etc.

Gary

-> AFV News Discussion Board