M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo in Alabama?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo in Alabama? Author: Alf_AdamsLocation: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:34 am
    ----
I was just cruising Google Maps the other day, seeing if I could find some of the tanks in Neil's Register, when I found the Sherman in Carbon Hill AL. It sure looks to my eyes to be an M4A3E2 Jumbo, although it isn't listed as one in the Register. I would appreciate anyone's input or comments on this as M4A3E2s are rare. Has anyone else looked at this or better yet, actually visited this vehicle. The Google Maps photo is not clear enough to be definitive but it sure looks like it to me. To locate it in Google Maps or Earth, just search for 330 3rd St SW, Carbon Hill AL, which is the address of the Legion Post.

Alf

#2: Re: M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo in Alabama? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:02 am
    ----
Boy,

She sure does look like one, especially the gun mantle.

I can check her out the next time I go to Alabama (be in 2 weeks or less) if anyone can't confirm or deny it's ID by then.

#3: Re: M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo in Alabama? Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:10 am
    ----
Gadzooks! That sure does look like one! Joe, check the rear tow lugs and front differential housing bulges for a serial. Also, get the turret casting serial as well as the E8020 casting that mounts the drivers hatches.

THX,
KL

#4: Re: M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo in Alabama? Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:10 am
    ----
Gadzooks! That sure does look like one! Joe, check the rear tow lugs and front differential housing bulges for a serial. Also, get the turret casting serial as well as the E8020 casting that mounts the drivers hatches.

THX,
KL

#5: Re: M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo in Alabama? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:22 am
    ----
Looks like I have a mission, should I decide to accept it.

Since Kurt is pretty sure it's one I might just SP in the next few days, I can be there and back in a day and to track a Jumbo, it'd be worth it and the gas.

Any one have any particular areas I need to concentrate on besides the ones Kurt mentioned???

#6: Re: M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo in Alabama? Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:35 am
    ----
Great find!! I concur with it looking to be a Jumbo. It looks to me like it has been fitted with a three-piece differential cover.

Joe, a pic or two of the bogie wheels and engine deck would be appreciated.

#7: Re: M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo in Alabama? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:41 pm
    ----
No problem,

Tentatively scheduled to take off Friday morning, gonna tie in some other stuff while I'm there. If not Friday, Monday.

Folks chime in if there's any other particular areas of interest. Hate to miss something.

#8: Re: M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo in Alabama? Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:40 am
    ----
The serial should be between 50326 and 50579, inclusive. Looking at photos the differential housings looks to have been replaced, so concentrate on the rear tow lugs (take you sand paper). Any casting numbers on the turret may also be key. Finally, look for a stamped-in number on the lower front corner of the left upper hull side. Should be something like G123 or F073.

Thanks,
KL

#9: Re: M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo in Alabama? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:01 am
    ----
Kurt,

I leave tomorrow and will have hopefully pictures to post by that night. I will photograph everything in view.

Have camera, will travel Smile

-> AFV News Discussion Board