M4A3(75) Sherman SN 11605-then and now
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M4A3(75) Sherman SN 11605-then and now Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:52 pm
    ----
Went out to catch this tank earlier today, hoping for a break in the rain. Naturally, said break did not occur until I got back home, so I took a few photos under an umbrella (which I hope never to have to do again T_T).

Since it was moved, and since it was photographed by that guy on Flickr, the tank's been repainted, and a few parts (a barrel for the bow MG, at least) have been added. It looks pretty good considering the condition it was in last year. I checked the locations for the SN but I couldn't see anything, probably owing to the decades of paint she's wearing.

August 2008

Now

"Bumper art"

#2: Re: M4A3(75) Sherman SN 11605-then and now Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:55 pm
    ----

Does anyone know why there'd be one weld-on armor plate on one side and two on the other?

Then

Now

#3: Re: M4A3(75) Sherman SN 11605-then and now Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:22 pm
    ----
Ammunition storage bins on the right side. Driver and co-driver protection for both sides.

#4: Re: M4A3(75) Sherman SN 11605-then and now Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:27 pm
    ----
Thanks!

Any chance you could drive around the Defense Supply Center in Columbus to see if you can spot the M60A3 they supposedly have?

Neil

#5: Re: M4A3(75) Sherman SN 11605-then and now Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:38 pm
    ----
Very nice comparison. Thanks for sharing it.

Massimo

#6: Re: M4A3(75) Sherman SN 11605-then and now Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:17 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Thanks!

Any chance you could drive around the Defense Supply Center in Columbus to see if you can spot the M60A3 they supposedly have?

Neil

I can try, but do you think I'd need to get permission from someone, since it's technically a DoD installation?

FWIW, it's visible on both google maps and live maps, so it at least was there when those photos were taken.

edit: Coordinates:
39°58'46.87"N
82°53'24.93"W

#7: Re: M4A3(75) Sherman SN 11605-then and now Author: recon4ww2Location: western Ohio PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:45 pm
    ----
Thanks for sharing the photos! My Son lives just east of Columbus (Reynoldsburg) and I have been wanting to photograph that Sherman but he told me it was "kind of in the hood" and not to go alone. Rolling Eyes
Is it still in the same location as it has been for years?
My son lives about a mile from the M47 on Wagoner Rd. The next time
I go there I can take some walk around shots if anybody wants them.
Mike Haines

#8: Re: M4A3(75) Sherman SN 11605-then and now Author: recon4ww2Location: western Ohio PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:56 pm
    ----
The applique armor covers 3 ammo bins. 2 on the right 1 on the left.

Mike Haines

#9: Re: M4A3(75) Sherman SN 11605-then and now Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:18 pm
    ----
- recon4ww2
Thanks for sharing the photos! My Son lives just east of Columbus (Reynoldsburg) and I have been wanting to photograph that Sherman but he told me it was "kind of in the hood" and not to go alone. Rolling Eyes
Mike Haines

It was just moved recently, actually. It's now at Amvets Post #68 at 3535 Westerville Road. I kinda understand why he'd say that, as it did seem a bit sketchy at its old location (although I went alone when I visited it and was fine). I intend to visit the Reynoldsburg M47 at some point here as well.

#10: Re: M4A3(75) Sherman SN 11605-then and now Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:20 am
    ----
- ShermanWasRight
- Neil_Baumgardner
Thanks!

Neil

I can try, but do you think I'd need to get permission from someone, since it's technically a DoD installation?

FWIW, it's visible on both google maps and live maps, so it at least was there when those photos were taken.

39°58'46.87"N
82°53'24.93"W

Yeah, thats why I said "around" Wink I figured it would be somewhere at a gate or something... But thanks for finding it regardless!

Neil

#11: Re: M4A3(75) Sherman SN 11605-then and now Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:28 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
- ShermanWasRight
- Neil_Baumgardner
Thanks!

Neil

39°58'46.87"N
82°53'24.93"W

Yeah, thats why I said "around" Wink I figured it would be somewhere at a gate or something... But thanks for finding it regardless!

Neil

I figure it's worth a try anyway, given that there's also a Huey and an artillery piece there as well. The comments on Aerialvisuals regarding the place make it sound like it's possible.

edit: I don't remember if I posted it before, but I also located the M60A3 in Moscow, OH using online maps:

38°51'21.38"N
84°13'53.16"W

I meant to go photograph it while I was in school but I didn't get a chance; I'll definitely get it once I'm back, though.

#12: Re: M4A3(75) Sherman SN 11605-then and now Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:55 pm
    ----
- recon4ww2
Thanks for sharing the photos! My Son lives just east of Columbus (Reynoldsburg) and I have been wanting to photograph that Sherman but he told me it was "kind of in the hood" and not to go alone. :roll:
Mike Haines

Mike,

Is there any chance I could use your photo of the Reynoldsburg M47 on PreservedTanks.com?

VFW Post 9473, Reynoldsburg

(also sent by PM)

#13: Re: M4A3(75) Sherman SN 11605-then and now Author: recon4ww2Location: western Ohio PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:12 pm
    ----
Trevor,
Absolutely, you may use it.

thanks for asking,

Mike

#14: Re: M4A3(75) Sherman SN 11605-then and now Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:48 pm
    ----
Thanks a lot - it'll go up asap.

Edit: done

Photo ID 3759: Reynoldsburg M47

-> AFV News Discussion Board