Palm Springs 88mm Flak 36
-> Artillery Forum

#1: Palm Springs 88mm Flak 36 Author: BB-61Location: Yuma, AZ PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:24 pm
    ----
Sitting outside the entrance to the Palm Springs Air Museum.

BB-61

#2: Re: Palm Springs 88mm Flak 36 Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:14 pm
    ----
Hi folks,

question on the 88mm, how many of them are real genuine WW2 canon used only in the German army?

From what I know is that most of the still existing 88mm flak came from Spain

Spain got some during the Spanish civil war, bought them during WW2 and also has build them in license

Nice picture's by the way Wink

Michel

#3: Re: Palm Springs 88mm Flak 36 Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:20 pm
    ----
The Palm Springs gun is a Spanish built one. More pics of it are on my site:
www.toadmanstankpictures.com/88.htm

#4: Re: Palm Springs 88mm Flak 36 Author: BB-61Location: Yuma, AZ PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:44 am
    ----
Chris & Michel,

Thanks for the info. I did not know that Spain built 88mm's.

BB-61

P.S. Where do you find builder plate/info on these guns?

#5: Re: Palm Springs 88mm Flak 36 Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:52 am
    ----
- BB-61
Chris & Michel,

Thanks for the info. I did not know that Spain built 88mm's.

BB-61

P.S. Where do you find builder plate/info on these guns?

There are stampings on the breech assembly. I can't remember where else. I'll have dig out the other pics that I have of this gun. I think I took nearly 200 pics of it when I was there back in 2005.

#6: Re: Palm Springs 88mm Flak 36 Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:04 pm
    ----
Well, it also could be much easier Mr. Green

On the 88mm Flak 18 that is at the museum in Best there is, what appears to be, an manufacturer's plate at the fuse-setter box

Saying, something like:
graduador of espolesa
para c 88/56

I do not speak Spanish, however I do speak German
And this plate is not in the German language

Michel

#7: Re: Palm Springs 88mm Flak 36 Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:13 pm
    ----
Hi folks,

got the picture's of the plate

Does some one know what "graduador of espolesa" means?
Put the line in google translate, but the result did not make sense

I must say that I'm not sure if it is ESPOLESA, I can only figure out ESPOLE-A
So there could be another letter missing, then an S.

Michel

#8: Re: Palm Springs 88mm Flak 36 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:09 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

The records for the Flak 36 here at Ft Bliss report that it was captured in North Africa and shipped here for testing. It has a SN and date of manufacture stamped into one of the two out riggers that hook to a dolly.

[img][/img]

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#9: Re: Palm Springs 88mm Flak 36 Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:20 pm
    ----
BB-61 and Chris,

I have been checking these picture's and the one's at the website
www.toadmanstankpictures.com/88.htm

This gun is not an 88mm FlAK 36, it is an 88mm FlAK 18
I have modified one of youre picture's Chris and put an piece of an picture from the 88mm 36 from Roy in it.
SO you can see the difference

The 88mm 18 had an 1 piece barrel
The 88mm 36 and 37 had an multi-piece barrel.
Because of the multi-piece barrel there was an locking collar (that is can be seen in Roy his picture) to keep the front section of the gun tube in place.

Michel

#10: Re: Palm Springs 88mm Flak 36 Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:50 pm
    ----
Hi folks,

me again.
I studied the picture's an little more it is starting to get complicated

I think I made an mistake saying it is een FlaK 18

First of all, the barrel is an 1 piece design making it een FlaK 18 barrel.

Second the carriage, this is the complicated and confusing part.
If I am correct this is actualy an FlaK 37 carriage, with the 2 fire-control data display's

So the gun would be an FlaK 37/18

Michel

-> Artillery Forum