What every good AFV photographer should carry...
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: What every good AFV photographer should carry... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:08 am
    ----
Anyone remember the topic on the original board where we discussed what every good AFV photographer should carry?

Lets recap and I'll start with

1. A small handbrush to clean off the crap & leaves that the owners never bother about!

#2: Re: What every good AFV photographer should carry... Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:27 am
    ----
Leatherman tool
-GPS receiver to plot locations at training areas etc
-Petzl light when it is possible to get in wrecks or hard targets and look for numbers

Photo equipment
- Camera
- Lens; I have a 18-200 which I find satisfactory in most cases)
- UV filter against scratches on the lens
- Tripod
- Flashlight
- a good waterproof bag or rucksack for the photo equipment

Regards,
Lesley

#3: Re: What every good AFV photographer should carry... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:02 pm
    ----
- Camera Pole (ie 'Joe D' Pole) for those high angle/Overhead photos.

- Extra batteries (digital camera)
- Spare memory card
- scrub pad (sand paper)

Regards
Don

#4: Re: What every good AFV photographer should carry... Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:05 pm
    ----
important:

- fully charged spare battery for camera
(I have experiences with this one, very disappointing when it happens Crying or Very sad )

- fully charged spare battery for camera flashlight

optional
spare battery for GPS and flashlight

Michel

#5: Re: What every good AFV photographer should carry... Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:57 pm
    ----
valid ID card, either driving license or passport

especialy required for museums on military installations Cool

#6: Re: What every good AFV photographer should carry... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:59 pm
    ----
A tripod can be very, very handy, but I do walkarounds (that's the modeller in me), and that means using a tripod would be too much time-consuming. On top of that most of the times I travel using public transports, and tripods are heavy and cumbersome to carry along.

No tripod means you have to deal with faster shutter speed. I try to compensate using higher ISO, good lens and a flashlight here and there.

External flashlights, are much better than the build-in ones.

While I see people having good results with point and shot cameras, I wouldn't use anything less than a reflex.

Massimo

#7: Re: What every good AFV photographer should carry... Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:22 pm
    ----
Hi all,

Gee, I feel like an amateur now...

I carry my digital camera, spare batteries, and my ID card. I rarely have the chance to plan my expeditions more than a couple of hours in advance. Occasionally, I actually stop as I pass by and grab a couple of shots.

Oh, yeah...a bit of chutzpah helps me too. I've discovered that the ability to act as if what I'm doing is completely normal and reasonable lets me get away with things that I might be told not to do. And if someone objects...I come back on Sunday. Almost nobody works on Sunday, so there is no one to tell me no!

C

#8: Re: What every good AFV photographer should carry... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:27 pm
    ----
I rarely have the chance to plan my expeditions more than a couple of hours in advance. Occasionally, I actually stop as I pass by and grab a couple of shots.

I guess that's also because in the USA many AFVs are just used as monuments in public places. In Europe most stuff is inside museums, this lead to more planned trips and less "stop as I pass by".

Massimo

#9: Re: What every good AFV photographer should carry... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:43 pm
    ----
I will add to this,

Coveralls and work boots,

Small paint kit to preserve Serial / Registration numbers if I have to chip some paint.

For those occasional ones located in out of the way places that the insides are accessible, a good bug bomb. Not only runs the bugs off but also the other creatures.

And finally, carry a cell phone and first aid kit if searching for out of the way stuff, just in case.

#10: Re: What every good AFV photographer should carry... Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:06 pm
    ----
Coveralls and work boots,

Small paint kit to preserve Serial / Registration numbers if I have to chip some paint.

That is not going to happen in Europe, museum staff will "kill" you at first sigth or ban you for life

And you may also get an change to meet some police because of destroying public property

For
those occasional ones located in out of the way places

adviced items:
- kevlar jacket
- kevlar helmet
- good health insurance
- good life insurance

AFV found on out of the way places, means general in Europe: military shooting range Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Michel

#11: Re: What every good AFV photographer should carry... Author: M4Nut PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:25 am
    ----
When I going to photograph something I can get right up to I carry a measurement reference stick. It's a paint stir stick with a 3 inch section of red tape, then 3 inches of no tape, 3 inches of red and 3 inches of no tape. I stuck a magnet (the type with sticky tape on one side) to the back. I then can place it on the vehicle and back up for the photo. Has come in very handy with reference photos for my model kits.
Eric

#12: Re: What every good AFV photographer should carry... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:29 am
    ----
- M4Nut
When I going to photograph something I can get right up to I carry a measurement reference stick. It's a paint stir stick with a 3 inch section of red tape, then 3 inches of no tape, 3 inches of red and 3 inches of no tape. I stuck a magnet (the type with sticky tape on one side) to the back. I then can place it on the vehicle and back up for the photo. Has come in very handy with reference photos for my model kits.
Eric

I have the card ones available which just require a bit of magnetic tape on the back -If anyone would like some then just email me with your postal address and I'll send a set along (in return for a few images)

#13: Re: What every good AFV photographer should carry... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:14 am
    ----
If anyone is interested Maplins are selling a snake cam ( little lens on the end of a flexible tube) which is ideal for poking through small apertures on vehicles for a peek/image of the insides.

Its on sale as well at the moment.

#14: Re: What every good AFV photographer should carry... Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:16 am
    ----
If anyone is interested Maplins are selling a snake cam ( little lens on the end of a flexible tube) which is ideal for poking through small apertures on vehicles for a peek/image of the insides.

Its on sale as well at the moment

I do not want to disappoint you, however from what I could find in the manual....this snake cam is with an USB connection for an computer

It is not an stand alone, but have to be used connected to an notebook

However the idea is good

Michel

#15: Re: What every good AFV photographer should carry... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:24 am
    ----
You don't carry a notebook with you? Smile

Note: Add notebook/portable to list of vital equipment for photographer Wink

-> AFV News Discussion Board