PAK in the Netherlands
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> Artillery Forum

#31: Re: PAK in the Netherlands Author: WimD.Location: The Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:50 pm
    ----
Hi,

"Braun Ark" is not the name of the gun but it is a special lubricant for the recoil system which is 'braun' and suitable for cold 'arktik' conditions.

Regards,
Wim

[quote="L.Delsing"]Visited the PAK43/41 L71 in Susteren today. It is located at the corner Raadhuisplein/Oude Rijksweg Noord (N 51 03.944 E 005 51.244)

No visible numbers on the gun. It is named ''Braun Ark'' On the inside/left of the gunshield is a black painted number ''187''.

It was one of the 3 AT-guns the Germans used in Susteren. The preserved gun was left behind in the vicinity of N 51 03.974 E005 51.313 (cafe Restaurant Bie Alois). Another gun was positioned near the Hoffmans Cross under 3 Olm trees and the 3rd was positioned in a grain mait in the open field

Some battle damage, also the barrel near the shield showed some damage by shrapnell(?)]

#32: Re: PAK in the Netherlands Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:19 pm
    ----
Hello Wim,
Interesting, never heard that! Sounds logical (and German Wink )

Regards,
Lesley

#33: Re: PAK in the Netherlands Author: WimD.Location: The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:40 am
    ----
Hello Lesley,

I tried to find some pictures with "braun ark", only found one.

Regards,
Wim.

#34: Re: PAK in the Netherlands Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:20 pm
    ----
Hello Wim,
Is this also a type of oil used in the gun?
Regards,
Lesley

#35: Re: PAK in the Netherlands Author: WimD.Location: The Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:45 pm
    ----
Hello Lesley,

I found this information: Recuperator Cylinder.

The recuperator cylinder is secured to the cradle above the piece. A liquid cylinder is fitted eccentrically in the bottom of the outer gas cylinder. The center lines of both cylinders are parallel. The liquid cylinder is completely filled with a glycerine-water solution, and the rest of the mechanism is charged with nitrogen to the proper pressure.

Glycerine in German language is Glycerine, in Norwegian language Glyserin and in Finnish Glyseriini.

Regards,
Wim.

#36: Re: PAK in the Netherlands Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:52 pm
    ----
I don't want to jump to cunclusions, however ....

Because of this info about the text and that in combination with the appearance of the gun Neutral

There is an good possibility that this gun is an former Russian 45mm AT-gun used in the Finnish army Confused

Michel

#37: Re: PAK in the Netherlands Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:33 pm
    ----
I found another Pak 36
This one is located in the coffe yard of the local Bakery in Haamstede
Gun is missing as you can see.

#38: Re: PAK in the Netherlands Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:20 pm
    ----
And a new one to the collection

The 75mm PaK 40 located at Groesbeek (also home of the Canadian M4A1 Grizzly)

I also have taken photo's of the markings at the breach, for the people interrested

Michel

-> Artillery Forum