Neil AFV registry
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Neil AFV registry Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:36 pm
    ----
Neil, what is the best way to reach you with AFV updates?

Please, update the Sherman in Toledo OH, it isnt there.
Shawn

#2: Re: Neil AFV registry Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:09 pm
    ----
Just replied above.

Neil

#3: Re: Neil AFV registry Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:30 pm
    ----
I am not sure if you were updated on this or not, I saw the Easy 8 Lima OH listed on the registry. Sorry, I cant recall your name mister, the guy in OH who has the truck, you may have already mentioned this...
While stopping to see friends in Lima, Ohio last evening, went to see Easy 8-- it isnt there, no afv's at all, anywhere in the area.
Shawn

#4: Re: Neil AFV registry Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:19 pm
    ----
Shawn,
The Lima Easy Eight is currently in storage.

As for Toledo, did you mean the Sherman in Walbridge, OH? - 28846 Tracy Rd (N41 34.116 W83 31.654)

Thanks

Neil

#5: Re: Neil AFV registry Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:32 pm
    ----
thats ugly

#6: Re: Neil AFV registry Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:27 pm
    ----
Neil,
That is the address? I will have to check it out again. I had stopped by the ARNG armory and had phoned them too. It is listed in Toledo, but it is in Walbridge? I will try to stop by and see it.
Thank you.
The Lima Easy8, do you know where it is in storage? Did they move it to the new Allen County museum downtown? That is currently under some construction and looking thru the windows the train locomotive and everything were under covers.
The address on the registry is the old train depot, now the "soldier's canteena" something or other. We even went next door to the biker bar and I asked them, got alot of odd looks and more directions. Is it noted on the registry as being in storage (if not could you please)?
Thanks Neil

#7: Re: Neil AFV registry Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:05 pm
    ----
Shawn,
I previously (V3.0 and before) I had the following listed for Toledo:

"Ohio ARNG Armory
M4A3E9 Sherman USA out SN 12458"

For the current (not yet released) draft 3.1 I was able to narrow that armory & Sherman down to 28846 Tracy Rd (N41 34.116 W83 31.654) in Walbridge.

Is that the same armory you are talking about?

With regard to the Lima Easy Eight, here's the reference info I now have:
"Originally on display at the Lima tank depot, the Allen County Museum bought this Sherman for $1 in 1957, and it was displayed or stored outside for a number of years. The tank is now kept in storage, according to Mike Haines (AFV News Discussion Board, 6/2009."

I'm not sure where it is stored, but I have the museum located at 620 W Market St.

Neil

#8: Re: Neil AFV registry Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:26 am
    ----
Neil, I am not sure. I had called the OH ARNG listed in the book and went were they told me the "tank" was to be. I will have to verify that that is the address I had checked out earlier.
I want to get to the museum in the near future. I will inquire about the Sherman. That is the address for the musuem. When driving by it was under construction/rennovations.
Thank you for your work and patience. I am sure this register has been work, dont get too lost in it. We all have lives aside from tracks.
SR

#9: Re: Neil AFV registry Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:48 pm
    ----
Thanks Shawn. That "life stuff" is why V3.1 is like 6+ months overdue Wink

Neil

#10: Re: Neil AFV registry Author: RayV PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:33 pm
    ----
The M4A3E9 Sherman shown above is a few miles south of Toledo, at 28846 Tracy Rd, Walbridge, OH- NG location. Take the Owen's college/Rossford exit off of I-75. The NG is at more of a side street, south of the community college, and easy to miss.

I tried to locate the Duster at the Holland Memorial Park with no luck.

Ray

#11: Re: Neil AFV registry Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:23 pm
    ----
Shawn and Neil,

We've been in Toledo with the show for three weeks and have looked for the M42s in Holland and Sylvania with no luck.

We did find and photograph the M42 in Oregon, OH. We also went to the Sherman on Tracy Rd that was mentioned in this thread.

I spoke with a gentleman at the Historical Museum in Lima about the Sherman. He said that an energy company was maintaining the tank and storing it at the energy plant and it was off limits to public view. I did NOT get confirmation that the museum will display it once the renovations are completed. I was mostly interested in trying to see it while we were in the area.

Let me know if you want any photos of the Tracy Rd M4 and/or the Oregon, OH M42.

Cheers,

The Vagabonds

#12: Re: Neil AFV registry Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:17 pm
    ----
Humh, wonder why it should be off limits to public view? I know that the refinery is restricted due to all of the hazmat. Scott worked there.

Could you tell me what energy plant?

I will see if Grandma Deloires or Aunt Karen or Scott (all life long residents of Lima) couldnt help me out, get eyes on that thing. They might know someone who knows someone who knows someone.
SR

#13: Re: Neil AFV registry Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:20 am
    ----
Shawn,
I don't know what plant. I didn't get any more info after finding out that it was not accessible. Sorry!

If you call the museum and ask about the Sherman, you'll probably end up talking to the same guy I did. Since you're familiar with the area, you're bound to have better luck than I. Let me know if you get to see it!

VB

-> AFV News Discussion Board