No luck on Ft Bragg M44
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: No luck on Ft Bragg M44 Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:17 pm
    ----
Hi all,

We took a return trip to Ft Bragg today to try and find the elusive M44. No luck.

We drove the entire length of Ardennes. Stopped in and asked at the 3-27 HQ. Tried the 18th Fire Brigade. Inquired at the JFK Museum and at the 82nd Division museum. No luck.

We did see outside of the 3-27 HQ an artillery piece and a missile launch truck. Possibly one of these replaced the M44 on display? Just supposing - I could get NO info on the M44 at all.

Sorry gang!

I DID get some photos of an M42 and another AAA vehicle in front of the AAA Division bldg. I'll post those later under a separate post.

If anyone can ascertain some info on the M44, we can try again in August when we will be passing through.

Cheers
VB

#2: Re: No luck on Ft Bragg M44 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:06 pm
    ----
According to my notes (dated about 10 years ago) it stood besides an Honest John launcher and that is all I have!

#3: Re: No luck on Ft Bragg M44 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:43 pm
    ----
FWIW, I previously had it down as located at what was then the 82nd Airborne Division Artillery (DIVARTY), aka 319th Field Artillery. Someone - either by e-mail or on here, and I cant find it on e-mail - corrected me and said it was at 3-27 FA. Its possible it was on here and has been lost...

Now there are no more DIVARTYs - all the FA battalions are now part of the line brigades - so I dont know what happened to the former HQ building...

Neil

#4: Re: No luck on Ft Bragg M44 Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:47 am
    ----
Shall I remove the M44 from Ft Bragg from the www.massimocorner.com/...ng_M44.pdf Surviving M44 Register ???

#5: Re: No luck on Ft Bragg M44 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:45 pm
    ----
I'm going to footnote it as "not seen 5/10" in the AFV Register.

Neil

#6: Re: No luck on Ft Bragg M44 Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:20 am
    ----
M44 in Fort Bragg
Smile
www.geocaching.com/see...9d57a41def

#7: Re: No luck on Ft Bragg M44 Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:58 pm
    ----
That geocache listing is from 2004. When we were looking for the M44 last year, we drove right by that spot and on the concrete pad sat a truck - no M44 in sight! We looked for it the entire length of Ardennes Rd.

If the weather cooperates, we are planning a run to FT Bragg to photograph the AFVs at the NCO Academy and will make another attempt to track down the elusive M44.

I'll let you know.
PH

-> AFV News Discussion Board