Preserved Tanks in Switzerland
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Preserved Tanks in Switzerland Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:19 pm
    ----
Massimo and I are currently actively working on Preserved Tanks in Switzerland, in parallel with Preserved Tanks in Italy - both of us are researching, plus Massimo is providing photo's and I'm writing up the tanks and locations. I'll keep posts on our progress on the various tanks and locations in this thread.

The main 'work in progress' page is here:

Preserved Tanks in Switzerland

The collections completed and up to date so far are as follows:

Thun

46 tanks in Panzermuseum, SHP and around the base

Hilfikon

Pz 68, also Pz 61, Pz 68-88 and G13

Forte Mondascia

Pz 68

Fort De Pre-Giroud

G13 x 2

Hinterrhein

Pz 55 (photo from Martin Haudenschild), Pz 68

Vugelles-La Mothe

Pz 39 (photo from Martin Haudenschild), Pz 55, G13

Burgdorf

G13 (photo from Wikimedia), G13 x 6, Pz 61 x 2, Pz 68 x 4, Pz 68-88 x 3, Pz 68 bridgelayer

#2: Re: Preserved Tanks in Switzerland Author: recceboyLocation: Edmonton,Alberta PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:50 pm
    ----
Good work....

Anthony

#3: Re: Preserved Tanks in Switzerland Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:21 pm
    ----
I think it's coming together pretty well. The hardest part is covering the unexpected amount of tanks owned by private collectors.

Massimo

#4: Re: Preserved Tanks in Switzerland Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:31 pm
    ----
With photos from Martin Haudenschild:

Bure

Pz 39 x 2, plus G13, Pz 51 (AMX-13) and Pz 57 (Centurion)

#5: Re: Preserved Tanks in Switzerland Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:34 pm
    ----
Schaffhausen is done, with photo's from two of Massimo's visits:

Schaffhausen

Pz 39, plus PzH 66 (M109) and Pz 68-88 (both without photo's). Note the G13 that was there is now at Burgdorf, but it can be reached via the link under 'Tanks Previously Here'.

Note, starting with this collection I have added two new features to the site:
1. Photo's are now divided in the 'time machine' view by month as well as by year, so for example the Pz 39 photos are divided into September 2009 and June 2009 sections.
2. Each photo in the collection now has a location associated with it since, as tanks move around, it is possible for a particular photo to have been taken somewhere other than the tank's current location (eventually I'll also draw it on a map). An example is the G13 now at Burgdorf, where its photo's now link back to Schaffhausen:

Burgdorf G13

Eventually I'll go back and do this retrospectively for all the pictures in the database.

#6: Re: Preserved Tanks in Switzerland Author: octo68 PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:08 am
    ----
Hello everybody,

here is a new entry:

www.flickr.com/photos/...7245004901

and a new question:

www.flickr.com/photos/...245004901/

Thanks a lot for your help...

#7: Re: Preserved Tanks in Switzerland Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:13 am
    ----
octo68 - welcome aboard!

Our resident expert on tanks in Switzerland is Massimo Foti, and he may be able to identify that tank for you (to me it's vaguely familiar, but I can't put a name to it). You've got some nice pictures there on Flickr, could I add them to the appropriate entries on PreservedTanks.com? Any photos and information used are, of course, fully credited.

#8: Re: Preserved Tanks in Switzerland Author: octo68 PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:33 am
    ----
Hi Trevor,

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome.

Of course you can take the pictures you need to update your site. I will try to give you some more.

#9: Re: Preserved Tanks in Switzerland Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:04 pm
    ----
Many thanks - I'll get on to it, but it may take a little while as I'm working on a bunch of projects in parallel.

#10: Re: Preserved Tanks in Switzerland Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:40 am
    ----
The mystery tank looks like a type of target tank or" Zielpanzer ".

#11: Re: Preserved Tanks in Switzerland Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:32 pm
    ----
Dear Colleague octo68,
I know not in the exact name of the vehicle.

In 1958 was manufactured at least one prototype with 90 mm gun Mecar or Cockerill, on chassis Hispano Suiza 30.

#12: Re: Preserved Tanks in Switzerland Author: octo68 PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:21 pm
    ----
Thanks a lot, there is a Hispano Suiza plate on the right of the hull and this chassis is even in the Thun Panzer museum, never notice that... although I spent a lot of time in Thun as a tank commander Cool , but the vehicle is very different at the end, bigger.

#13: Re: Preserved Tanks in Switzerland Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:11 am
    ----
- octo68

and a new question:

www.flickr.com/photos/...245004901/

Thanks a lot for your help...

HS 30 mit 90mm Bord K (DEFA)

#14: Re: Preserved Tanks in Switzerland Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:01 pm
    ----
Dear Colleagues,
I must say with regret that the claim is not accurate JimWeb colleagues. According to me, was a Swiss tank-destroyer equipped with cannon Mecar (identified in the literature of the fifties) Belgian firm.

French DEFA cannon licensed products are of the Belgian company Cockerill. After the war, developed as low-to medium-pressure gun system, which was the result of a collaboration of Cockerill (gun) and Mecar (ammunition), which stemmed from a German cannon 8cm PAW 600.

P. S.
Sorry, but I can not english so I used an electronic translator.

#15: Re: Preserved Tanks in Switzerland Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:52 pm
    ----
The information came from Mowag (though I suspect this particular vehicle was a collabaration between them & Hispano-Suiza)

- JiriTintera
Dear Colleagues,
I must say with regret that the claim is not accurate JimWeb colleagues. According to me, was a Swiss tank-destroyer equipped with cannon Mecar (identified in the literature of the fifties) Belgian firm.

Mistake No 1. Assuming that just because it has HS-30 in the name that it was german - It was, in fact constructed by Mowag.

French DEFA cannon licensed products are of the Belgian company Cockerill. After the war, developed as low-to medium-pressure gun system, which was the result of a collaboration of Cockerill (gun) and Mecar (ammunition), which stemmed from a German cannon 8cm PAW 600.

Perhaps an image (taken from one of the Mowag Histories) would help clarify things - note the rather distinctive muzzle-brake

-> AFV News Discussion Board