Doug, you and a few others may find this interesting
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Doug, you and a few others may find this interesting Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:10 am
    ----
blogs.denverpost.com/c...-saigon-2/

#2: Re: Doug, you and a few others may find this interesting Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:24 am
    ----
See especially pic 15. The Battle of Dong Xoai was the first major overrun of a Special Forces camp preceding Lang Vei and Pleiku as well as the battle of the Ia Drang. Picture is taken June 15. In less than 24 hours on June 9-10, the unprecedented assault by ~1,000 VC hit the camp with high angle artillery, rockets, recoiless rifles and pole charges. Of the nine Special Forces troops present from A-Team Detachment A-342, three would receive Silver Stars, Three DSC's, all would be Purple Hearts and three would be KIA's. There were two MOH's awarded, one to the XO who assumed command from the CO after he was grievously wounded and one to the first Navy man in VN and only Seabee ever to be so awarded. The XO survived, the Seabee was posthumous. Hundred of VC, CIDG, Cambodes and other troops died in the event.

The A Team detachment CO was later my squadron CO in 2/11 ACR and since our becoming good friends, he is very interesting to talk to, as you might imagine.

Noted Graphic Novelist Joe Kubert has produced a major work based on this battle and is now available. In the graphic novel, some names are changed, but the authentic memoir at the back of the book will tell you who was who. Col. Stokes generously shared a copy with me and I can highly recommend as the memoir part was originally a "within unit" remembrance of the event by the six survivors of the team.

Can get an idea of it here....

www.comicbookresources...p;id=26087

and buy it here:

www.amazon.com/Dong-Xo...1401221424

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: Doug, you and a few others may find this interesting Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:30 am
    ----
I would imagine the conversations must be compelling

#4: Re: Doug, you and a few others may find this interesting Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:50 pm
    ----
- piney
I would imagine the conversations must be compelling

The battlefield photographs taken after the recapture are compelling as well. Not unlike some you've probably seen of Civil War battlefields.

#5: Re: Doug, you and a few others may find this interesting Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:47 pm
    ----
Impressive pictures, very good quality.

Also the pictures ''on-war-seven-years-of-war-in-iraq'' are impressive. Especially picture no.4 is very recognisable.

Regards,
Lesley

-> AFV News Discussion Board