Slovakian Death Valley
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Slovakian Death Valley Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:21 pm
    ----
Beeing in the neighbourhood I went there expecting to find 8 or 9 T34/85's. At the end I found 11 of them, later research showed I missed at least another 3 of them (I know bad pre preparation from me).

Pictures of them: community.webshots.com...0386ofVztW
The ones I did mis
www.afvregister.org/De...737&Page=0
www.afvregister.org/De...738&Page=0
www.afvregister.org/De...736&Page=0

Tichenor

#2: Re: Slovakian Death Valley Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:27 pm
    ----
14 !!! well, well, I also don't have so many of them in the current "temporary" version of the T-34/85 PDF book.

P-O

#3: Re: Slovakian Death Valley Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:18 pm
    ----
Why "Death Valley"?

#4: Re: Slovakian Death Valley Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:34 pm
    ----
Because of the fierce battles which have been fight here during the second world war between the German and Soviet armies.

I copied the following from wikipedia;

Battle of the Dukla Pass, also known as the Dukla / Carpatho-Dukla / Rzeszów-Dukla / Dukla-Prešov Offensive was the scene of bitterly contested battle for the Dukla Pass (borderland between Poland and Slovakia) on the Eastern Front of World War II between Nazi Germany and Soviet Union in September-October 1944. German resistance was much harder than expected. The battle which began on 8 September would not see the Soviet forces on the other side of the pass until 6 October, and German forces would stop their heavy resistance in the region only around 10 October. Five days to Prešov turned into fifty days to Svidnik alone with over 70,000 casualties on both sides. Prešov that was to be reached in six days remained beyond the Czechoslovaks' grasp for four months.[2] The battle would be counted among one of the most bloody in the entire Eastern Front and in the history of Slovakia;[3] one of the valleys in the pass near villages of Kapisova, Chyrowa, Iwla and G?ojsce would become known as the Valley of Death.[1]

#5: Re: Slovakian Death Valley Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:48 pm
    ----
Hi,

It seems to be "tanks sitting in a field day" here today.

The arrangement of these tanks is curious. Some of them are clearly on concrete pads, and intentionally displayed. Others seem to just have been randomly parked in the fields. Is there some purpose to the way they are displayed, or is it just random? It's obvious that they are not forgotten, since they tanks all appear to be cared for, even if it is just cosmetically.

Maybe it's the angles and my eyes, but there also seems to be a good representation of the different turret types there.

That partly open driver's hatch would be a great temptation to me...

Chuck

#6: Re: Slovakian Death Valley Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:24 am
    ----
Photo gallery:

picasaweb.google.pl/mi...edwebsite#

-> AFV News Discussion Board