OT, but it has tracks and laterals...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: OT, but it has tracks and laterals... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:31 pm
    ----
Did this model ever see any military application that anyone knows about?

I really would have liked to take her for a spin....

#2: Re: OT, but it has tracks and laterals... Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:41 pm
    ----
I encountered something like that at Armycars Zwijndrecht

An crawler tractor and still do not know what it is

at least it is green, so most likely had an military history Laughing

Michel

#3: Re: OT, but it has tracks and laterals... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:08 pm
    ----
- Michel_Krauss

Michel

There were a number of small tractors used for artillery movers and expedient airlift-capable engineer use (like for fast preparation of fighting positions or airfields). The one you saw was likely one of those.

I'm wondering if M-D made this model as a military version as well. It's very similar to the one you posted. Though it looks almost new, the red one is a thoroughly restored old model, but don't have the precise year. You can bet '30's-'40's, though.

#4: Re: OT, but it has tracks and laterals... Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:26 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- Michel_Krauss

Michel

There were a number of small tractors used for artillery movers and expedient airlift-capable engineer use (like for fast preparation of fighting positions or airfields). The one you saw was likely one of those.

I'm wondering if M-D made this model as a military version as well. It's very similar to the one you posted. Though it looks almost new, the red one is a thoroughly restored old model, but don't have the precise year. You can bet '30's-'40's, though.

I suppose if you were really curious, you could contact the manufacturer for information about what they sold to the US Government.

Chuck

#5: Re: OT, but it has tracks and laterals... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:35 pm
    ----
Hmmm...this is a T-20, so "pre-war"...the T-40, however....

www.olive-drab.com/idp...h-td40.php

"International Harvester TD-40 Tractor / Bulldozer

The International Harvester TD-40 Tractor / Bulldozer was produced from 1933 through 1939, the first IH diesel. They were procured by the U.S. Army in small numbers and were used through WW II. The vehicle was called the McCormick Deering TD-40 TracTracTor."

-> AFV News Discussion Board