Accomodations near Bovington Tank Museum?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Accomodations near Bovington Tank Museum? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:05 am
    ----
I remember we spoke about this very same topic, but seems like messages were lost during the big crash in summer 2009. I am again considering a trip to Bovington this winter and would love to get suggestions for a place to stay.

I would reach London by plane then take the train to Wool.

My ideal place would be a bed & breakfast at walking distance from the Museum. But I would consider using a taxi to reach the Museum too.

Thanks in advance.

Massimo

#2: Re: Accomodations near Bovington Tank Museum? Author: jch_in_uk PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:25 pm
    ----
Can I suggest the links on the TM's own website?

www.tankmuseum.org/lin...ocal_links

I have always driven to the TM, but I think that Wool is a fair distance from the TM, you will need a taxi or bus.

Hope this helps

jch

#3: Re: Accomodations near Bovington Tank Museum? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:38 pm
    ----
Thanks, I checked that list already, and none is at walking distance. So far looks like I better stay in Wool and plan to use a taxi.
I would love to hear from somebody who know a B&B in the area first hand.

Massimo

#4: Re: Accomodations near Bovington Tank Museum? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:55 pm
    ----
I don't think I can get to Bovington any time soon, but if you're interested perhaps we could meet up in London? Just a thought.

#5: Re: Accomodations near Bovington Tank Museum? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:16 am
    ----
I am still not sure about next's year work schedule. My current plan is to visit Bovington early in March (5th-13th), spending 4-5 days over there. That would be a complete, full-immersion visit.

Early in July I also plan to visit London with my family (my daughter has never been there). That hopefully means I will do a trip to IWM and maybe Hendon too. That could be a good opportunity to meet.

Massimo

#6: Re: Accomodations near Bovington Tank Museum? Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:04 pm
    ----
"Google" is your friend.
www.google.co.uk/#scli...a587325fb#
"Beryl's B&B"
2 Heath Close, Bovington, Wareham, Dorset BH207DF

01929 550138 (

beryle @ homecall.co.uk

maps.google.co.uk/maps...jAedr8C8Bw

Looks all of 500m from the camp.

Looks like we'll have to have a meet-up somewhere.

#7: Re: Accomodations near Bovington Tank Museum? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:25 pm
    ----
Thanks. that's the first search I tried. Beryl's B&B it's 1600m away from the Museum, not 500m. I will carry along at least 10 kg of camera equipment....

I am also considering that a place nearer a town could work better for dinner too.

As for a meeting, I would love to meet any fellow forum member. Where are you located?

Massimo

#8: Re: Accomodations near Bovington Tank Museum? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:36 pm
    ----
BTW I guess you measured the distance to Bovington Camp, that would be around 500m. The Museum is further away.

Massimo

#9: Re: Accomodations near Bovington Tank Museum? Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:06 pm
    ----
I'm up in the wilds of Lincolnshire, near Grantham. So only the WW1 MkIV in Lincoln near me (Which I atually went to see yesterday), plenty of aircraft, however.
I've not been to Bov for many years, last time the only part of their Tiger 1 on display was the turret, as the rest was in for restoration, so that must be between 1990 & 1998!

#10: Re: Accomodations near Bovington Tank Museum? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:13 pm
    ----
So, what would easier for you, Bovington in March or London in July?

Massimo

#11: Re: Accomodations near Bovington Tank Museum? Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:16 pm
    ----
Either!
I prefer Bov, London costs a fortune to visit.

#12: Re: Accomodations near Bovington Tank Museum? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:30 pm
    ----
Great, I'll keep you up to date on my plans for Bovington.

In the meantime I will also try to finalize a trip to Saumur at the end of this year.

Massimo

#13: Re: Accomodations near Bovington Tank Museum? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:05 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
Thanks. that's the first search I tried. Beryl's B&B it's 1600m away from the Museum, not 500m. I will carry along at least 10 kg of camera equipment....

It would be a good distance to cycle! Also you would be close to the tank(s) at ATDU, and would pass a handful of tanks around the camp on your way to the museum. Plus, if you have spare time, it is close to the entry point where vehicles in service (Challengers etc.) go to exercise, there is a car park where you can watch them while eating your sandwiches.

This is my current PreservedTanks entry for Bovington, it's pretty incomplete (only the World War I section is done so far) but I could start adding the locations of vehicles around Bovington to the map if it would be useful to you:

Location ID 3000: Bovington

#14: Re: Accomodations near Bovington Tank Museum? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:06 am
    ----
Well, it would be handy to have the different locations on the map (just like you did for Thun). But it's not that urgent, it will take a fw months at least

Thanks

Massimo

#15: Re: Accomodations near Bovington Tank Museum? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:31 pm
    ----
My recommendation is take a few days in the southeast - stay in Portsmouth, take the train over to Bovington, and also visit the museums in Portsmouth...

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board