M551 Sheridan
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M551 Sheridan Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:57 am
    ----
By popular request from a weekend archive 'dig'.

Not sure if these are 'new' but I thought pretty interesting.

First, prototypes:

of course, this is a tank that 'floats'....

An interesting personal story. In 1990, I did an NTC rotation. While in the 'dust bowl', I bumped into a former crewman from Germany. He was assigned to Ft Irwin. He mentioned that his (Vismod) Tank ID # was 432, which it turns out was the unit we served in, in Germany (4/32 Ar).

Days later, while 'In the Box', my tank was positioned in an excellent hasty defense. I was able to use a 'wadi' as a natural fighting position, and it oriented toward a trail that the OPFOR used to penetrate our positions. Sitting in the hidden position I recorded 16 OPFOR vehicle 'kills' (Tanks & PC). The last two vehicles I was able to shoot were tank #'s 432 & 433. Of course, my tank was then 'killed' by a platoon of tanks that caught me in the grill doors with point blank direct fire. (BUT I got more of them, before being 'dispatched',....an NTC goal, is to at least get a few of them before being 'waxed'.)

Not sure when this photo was taken, but notice the turret #,.....

ahhh the fond memories... Mr. Green

Regards
Don

#2: Re: M551 Sheridan Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:59 pm
    ----
And a few more, before getting 'busy' this morning.....

Enjoy
Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board