NEIL~ M551 North Las Vegas, Nevada
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: NEIL~ M551 North Las Vegas, Nevada Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:56 pm
    ----
www.flickr.com/photos/...381312973/

#2: Re: NEIL~ M551 North Las Vegas, Nevada Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:18 am
    ----
Hi,

A certain amount of artistic license went into that display...the SGLs, the main gun, the coax barrel, etc.

I might guess that this is a former Ft. Irwin OPFOR tank. The Cav Squadron (formerly the 1/221 Armor) from LV used to be (maybe still is?) part of the OPFOR at the NTC, which would put them in a position to acquire one when the M551s were retired. The over-long gun tube may actually be a cut-down VISMOD gun tube.

Chuck

#3: Re: NEIL~ M551 North Las Vegas, Nevada Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:33 am
    ----
They've put a bumper number on this from 2/116th Cav. If I remember right this unit is/was Idaho Nat'l Guard and they had Sheridans in the early 80's.

#4: Re: NEIL~ M551 North Las Vegas, Nevada Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:14 am
    ----
- C_Sherman
Hi,

A certain amount of artistic license went into that display...the SGLs, the main gun, the coax barrel, etc.

I might guess that this is a former Ft. Irwin OPFOR tank. The Cav Squadron (formerly the 1/221 Armor) from LV used to be (maybe still is?) part of the OPFOR at the NTC, which would put them in a position to acquire one when the M551s were retired. The over-long gun tube may actually be a cut-down VISMOD gun tube.

Chuck

That coax is particularly impressive. Mr. Green
Maybe someone saw an old pic of the prototype with the spotting rifle.

If they're back (and I think they are), LTC Scott Cunningham, at one time CO of 1/221 ne 2/11th IIRC may be able to answer that for us.

#5: Re: NEIL~ M551 North Las Vegas, Nevada Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:17 pm
    ----
That's only 100 miles from here. Naybe I'll try to see it. I understand it's inside the armory 'compound' so I may have to get special permission.

-> AFV News Discussion Board