Bovington
Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Bovington Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:13 pm
    ----
I've spend a few days in Bovington last week. It was my first visit ever and I really had a great time. I've took thousands of pictures and will start posting them asap. I also collected some interesting info that I'll try to post along too.

Let's start with the first news. If I remember correctely, P-O heard voices of an FT-17's hull acquired by an UK-based collector. I can confirm that. In fact the whole running gear from Bovington's FT-17 is currently disassembled, to be used as a pattern and help restoring another FT-17 in the UK that was missing all the running gear. The plan is to also build an engine for this FT-17 and make it a runner. If everything goes well there will be two engines and Bovington's tank will run again too.

Seems like this new FT-17 is owned by the SDKFZ Foundation.
There are also "rumours" about the possibility that in the future Bovington could host and display some vehicles from SDKFZ Foundation.

Massimo

Last edited by Massimo_Foti on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

#2: Re: Bovinton 2011 Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:50 pm
    ----
The link between the Sdkfz Foundation, now renamed The Weald Foundation, and Bovington has been discussed in a few magazine articles and forae, them restoring at FT 17 was mentioned in January on the HMVF forum.
They have been helping The Tank Museum with their Tiger's engine.
Other snippets?
www.kentnews.co.uk/def...ford.co.uk

Mr Ridd said the foundation was working with war museums throughout Europe in an attempt to bring the tank restoration project to fruition.

He added: "The centenary of the start of World War One is going to be a major international event, and we are looking at restoring four tanks to full running condition.

"One is the Mark IV in Ashford and we also have two French tanks currently in bits in our workshop. We also want to restore a German LKII, of which only two prototypes were ever made."

I think this may be their establishment, as seen on Google Maps
maps.google.co.uk/maps...a=N&tab=wl
Then again,it may come as a gibberish, knowing my luck with html here!
Edit, it did! So a link!

Last edited by Pzkpfw-e on Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:05 pm
    ----
With Google Maps you better post links and avoid iframes here Smile

Massimo

#4: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:44 pm
    ----
this proves that there is always a part of truth in rumor. And it explains why a complete side of Bovington's FT is missing. We wondered why some months ago..

As usual (and fortunately), we always get answers to our numerous questions.

P-O

#5: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:19 am
    ----
Do you know from where the Ft-17 comes from?

Massimo

#6: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:21 am
    ----
Here is Little Willie on its rotating platform. You can see FT-17 in the background:

Massimo

#7: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:24 am
    ----
Mark II Female "Flying Scotsman". It's hard to get good pictures from this side, since it's backlit. I tried my best using exposure compensation:

Massimo

#8: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:27 am
    ----
Here is the other side:

These tanks were supposed to only be used for training and were build with soft steel, not armored plates. Yet, a few dozens were send to Arras anyway (info from the Museum)

Massimo

#9: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:42 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
Do you know from where the Ft-17 comes from?

Massimo

well, it probably comes from the Maginot line, some Renault FT hulls were buried in the 30s and cast into concrete.Some years ago, one or more hulls were recovered from these concrete bunkers. There were also some turrets installed on bunkers on the Maginot line, or on "Tobrouks" in German defensive positions.

P-O

#10: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:51 am
    ----
Mark IV Male:

Massimo

#11: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:52 am
    ----
Mark V Male:

Massimo

#12: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:53 am
    ----
Mark VIII International:

Massimo

#13: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:54 am
    ----
Mark IX Troop Carrier

Massimo

#14: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 am
    ----
Mark V Female. I had to use a wide-angle for this:

Massimo

#15: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:01 am
    ----
This is the widest I can get with my lenses. It's 11 mm on my Canon 7D, the equivalent of 17 mm on traditional 35 mm. You simply can't take a full portrait of the tank from this side without a wide lens (there is not enough space). Some perspective distortion kicks in, but my feeling is it had some "character" to the shot

Massimo

-> AFV News Discussion Board