Ford/AAI - Armored Reconnaissance Scout Vehicle
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Ford/AAI - Armored Reconnaissance Scout Vehicle Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:04 pm
    ----
Dear Sirs,
I turn to you for help. I accidentally stumbled upon two interesting vehicle design, which originated in the sixties, thanks to cooperation of the Ford Motor Co. and Aircraft Armaments Inc.

Armoured version of a ARSV

Floating version of a ARSV (Photo by: JW de Boer)

I managed to obtain U.S. patents of these vehicles and I am looking for another information. I am interested in the technical details and history.

Best Regards Jiri

Last edited by JiriTintera on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Ford/AAI - Armored Reconnaissance Scout Vehicle Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:17 pm
    ----
This is interesting! Never heard of it before. Thanks for photos Smile

#3: Re: Ford/AAI - Armored Reconnaissance Scout Vehicle Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:24 pm
    ----
Another photo at www.warwheels.net/FordAAIindex.html

#4: Re: Ford/AAI - Armored Reconnaissance Scout Vehicle Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:55 pm
    ----
I thought we'd been all through this own before. Isn't this the "Bar Car", an example of which is in the collection at El Monte? In fact, isn't the pic above the same vehicle?

I believe it was fiberglass construction or something on the front, with that "exoskeleton" to protect it when coming ashore.

This might be one of Neil's pics...

#5: Re: Ford/AAI - Armored Reconnaissance Scout Vehicle Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:16 pm
    ----
Sigh...

Yes, that is the forgotten and forlorn "Barr Car." It's actually at VMMV in Virginia. It was nicknamed that after AAI's Irwinn Barr articles.baltimoresun....or-glenn-l

More photos smg.photobucket.com/al...Barr2c.jpg

A friend and I once actually thought about trying to take it off their hands and restore it - we were thinking it was small enough and hoping it actually had a Ford engine or something like that... BTW, it has an Archimedean drive underneath, which the patent photos dont seem to show. But we were told it was given to VMMV by AAI, so they couldnt sell it to anyone... So unfortunately it sits unattended last I saw it...

Perhaps for the best though, not sure the fiancee would be too crazy about being a part owner in an armored vehicle Wink

Jim once told me he was contacted by someone (possibly in SC from the e-mail address, which no longer works) that was restoring one. But I havent been able to track down evidence of another one...

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

#6: Re: Ford/AAI - Armored Reconnaissance Scout Vehicle Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:21 pm
    ----
Thanks for sorting the details on that, Neil. I was pretty sure it was your pic.

I'm not sure we didn't do this way-back-when on the old board as well.

#7: Re: Ford/AAI - Armored Reconnaissance Scout Vehicle Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:34 pm
    ----
Neil,
when trying to translate written here, I started to "burn the PC" . Thanks for the link to your photos. AAI ARSV overgrown grass is also VMMV in Virginia?

Jiri

#8: Re: Ford/AAI - Armored Reconnaissance Scout Vehicle Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:02 pm
    ----
- JiriTintera
Neil,
when trying to translate written here, I started to "burn the PC" . Thanks for the link to your photos. AAI ARSV overgrown grass is also VMMV in Virginia?

Jiri

Yes, it's the same vehicle taken at different times from different angles.

#9: Re: Ford/AAI - Armored Reconnaissance Scout Vehicle Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:10 pm
    ----
Dear Sirs,
on the internet I found a photo of AAI ARSV, not tower (!) and not splashboard.

I do not know which of the year. Does anyone know how old is she?

Reference
www.amphibiousvehicle....i/F_F.html
www.amphibiousvehicle....ai-01.jpeg

Last edited by JiriTintera on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

#10: Re: Ford/AAI - Armored Reconnaissance Scout Vehicle Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:45 pm
    ----
- JiriTintera
Neil,

Jiri

Yes, unfortunately...

-> AFV News Discussion Board