real or replica pzkpfw IV in NZ?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: real or replica pzkpfw IV in NZ? Author: gregv PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:27 am
    ----
came across these great pics fro the big Classic Fighters 2011 show in Omaka, and was wondering what the deal is with this pzkpfw IV; looks real but has some odd bits as well (hull mg mount for example):

(bottom of first page)
rnzaf.proboards.com/in...38&page=1#

cheers

greg v.

#2: Re: real or replica pzkpfw IV in NZ? Author: zundappukLocation: Behind the Westwall, really! PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:37 am
    ----
Hi Greg,

All I can tell you that is on my Steyr 1500 forum I have an NZ member, and he posted last week this comment:

"Omaka airshow 2011 and look at their face book page. Peter Jacksons Panzer 4 movie replica on there. we will be towing has Flak 38 (ex speilberg )"

David

#3: Re: real or replica pzkpfw IV in NZ? Author: rynokiLocation: Australia PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:42 am
    ----
Some time ago I read that someone was building an exact 1:1 scale replica of a Tiger tank turret in NZ out of wood. Maybe they also built a PzIV?

#4: Re: real or replica pzkpfw IV in NZ? Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:05 am
    ----
Bloody good replica!
On the Flickr account it comes from , there's also a long shot showing a Panther in the background.

#5: Re: real or replica pzkpfw IV in NZ? Author: VonForhud PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:38 am
    ----
Replica I would say.

#6: Re: real or replica pzkpfw IV in NZ? Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:42 am
    ----
High-quality replica.
I've never seen so good work on replica building.
But I think the creator could work little better so that we can't determine the difference by this photo with confidence (visors for example).

#7: Re: real or replica pzkpfw IV in NZ? Author: longo213 PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:12 pm
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
Bloody good replica!
On the Flickr account it comes from , there's also a long shot showing a Panther in the background.

Who's behind this project, btw? Is it Peter Jackson's Weta Workshop and is it somehow related to Panzer 88 movie?
Quite frankly, this is the best Panzer IV reproduction I ever seen, pity I didn't found better picture of the Panther.

PzIV_4778 by errolgc, on Flickr

WW2battle_4781 by errolgc, on Flickr

Btw, Kiwis do make some good job when it comes to reproductions - some of WWI birds on the pictures are reproductions from The Vintage Aviator guys. Hell, they even make perfectly working replicas of engines and guns for their WWI planes.

#8: Re: real or replica pzkpfw IV in NZ? Author: longo213 PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:33 pm
    ----
Ah, Panther looks like static mock-up only.

#9: Re: real or replica pzkpfw IV in NZ? Author: gregv PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:46 pm
    ----
thanks for all the answers guys.

I must say it's a pretty good job they've done, I wonder if it incorporates any original parts? In particular the drive sprocket, tracks and roadwheels look like the real deal, as does the bogie pick-up points etc. Nice job! Strange they'd let the weird ball joint hull mg and the vision slot not come up to the same level of detail, but that's really nit-picking.

Nice work to those involved!

cheers

greg v.

#10: Re: real or replica pzkpfw IV in NZ? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:55 pm
    ----
well well, tracking down original German WW2 tanks will be a bit harder now.

With that level of details, I will for sure receive some email of people saying "hey, this tank is not listed in Panzer IV PDF file !!" and when I will tell them it is a repro, they will for sure never believe me...

P-O

#11: Re: real or replica pzkpfw IV in NZ? Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:28 pm
    ----
I just found the Panzer 88 page on Facebook. There are other pictures there with the storyline. No clue on its construction or donour vehicle.

#12: Re: real or replica pzkpfw IV in NZ? Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:07 am
    ----
It makes a change to see a film taking the trouble to produce a good replica of a tank, rather than find a (insert name/model number) and slap a few Balkenkreuz on it!

#13: Re: real or replica pzkpfw IV in NZ? Author: longo213 PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:50 pm
    ----
Well, if you want to know something new, you have to ask Smile

www.facebook.com/Panze...8929442890

www.facebook.com/photo...=1&theater

Yup, Weta is also working on Tiger I and King Tiger replicas!

#14: Re: real or replica pzkpfw IV in NZ? Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:46 pm
    ----
Looks like a KT to me!

Not sure what's running after it.
I'm surprised in the age of CGI, they're making 1:1 replicas.

#15: Re: real or replica pzkpfw IV in NZ? Author: longo213 PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:10 pm
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
I'm surprised in the age of CGI, they're making 1:1 replicas.

Yup, building full scale working (and almost perfectly looking) replicas of three German tanks for something which so far looked like another horror flick... is what's makes Kiwis so awesome. If I ever meet some of Weta guys in a pub, they would be for free!

-> AFV News Discussion Board