This one goes out to Stoopy...
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#1: This one goes out to Stoopy... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:52 pm
    ----
...from radio KSTY, the "OK pig sty" on your dial....at 99.9 (marked down from 100.5).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggN-HKq3FG8

Great solos, not least of all the bassist....

Last edited by JG300-Ascout on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: This one goes out to Stoopy... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:17 am
    ----
That was GREAT!!! Thanks for the link!!

#3: Re: This one goes out to Stoopy... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:21 am
    ----
HOT DAMN!!!![i]

Holy Scheiss!!! That went from impressive to amazing to all-out mind blowing! Have you ever seen any band kick so much absolute butt with so little?

Normally I'd post a link to some other song in the same vein that I thought might be worthy of viewing, so as to return the favor, but this time I'm just at a loss for any response.

Let me catch my breath....

#4: Re: This one goes out to Stoopy... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:29 pm
    ----
Well, while yer thinkin' about it....here's a little Robert Gordon action neatly edited together with some Thunder Road clips. What's not to like?!

"Drivin' Wheel"

#5: Re: This one goes out to Stoopy... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:18 pm
    ----
This one makes my hips move all "funny".

www.youtube.com/watch?...i_UkolDJYA

#6: Re: This one goes out to Stoopy... Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:45 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
Well, while yer thinkin' about it....here's a little Robert Gordon action neatly edited together with some Thunder Road clips. What's not to like?!

"Drivin' Wheel"

tasty...

#7: Re: This one goes out to Stoopy... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:29 am
    ----
Well it don't get much cooler than Robert Mitchum, that's for sure! Cool

If I've posted this before please forgive me but even so it's still worth another viewing....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuXcGHjBeac

#8: Re: This one goes out to Stoopy... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:00 am
    ----
All great stuff for sure!!

Don't forget about THESE GUYS... Wink

#9: Re: This one goes out to Stoopy... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:01 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Well it don't get much cooler than Robert Mitchum, that's for sure! Cool

If I've posted this before please forgive me but even so it's still worth another viewing....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuXcGHjBeac

Good Stuff™...and a major Heap o' hotness to boot!

#10: Re: This one goes out to Stoopy... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:46 pm
    ----
The late, great Danny Gatton, aka "The Telemaster", aka "The Humbler" and one the highest rated guitar players never to be widely known....playing his 1953 Telecaster with both a full bottle (open, soon to be a half bottle) of beer, and subsequently a towel (this was a not infrequent "stunt" he'd perform. Fender makes a special edition of Gatton's unique Telecaster....for a price (and that price is about $4,000).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ2Q2D3G6Rs

#11: Re: This one goes out to Stoopy... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:56 pm
    ----
Another great find Ascout!! Thanks!!!

#12: Re: This one goes out to Stoopy... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:06 pm
    ----
Dick Dale plays Link Wray...

I did not know that Dale played unrestrung lefty. Hell, that's what I used to do (because I didn't know any better). I bet he didn't either when he started. Let me tell you, it ain't easy.*

Let's Rumble!

*This may account for why Dale looks like he's suffering a bout of "painful elimination". Rolling Eyes

#13: Re: This one goes out to Stoopy... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:20 am
    ----
Yep he not only plays left-handed upside-down-strung but uses some incredibly HEAVY strings to get that big bad boss punchy sound. Massive gauge sizes that go from something like 18 on the high E to 64 or so on the low E and a wound third string as well...heavier than most acoustics and enough combined tension to pull the neck right off a lesser guitar than his mighty golden Strat! Of course it helps that he tunes it down a whole step! But to do that fast staccato picking, lots of string tension helps, normal-size electric gauges (9's or 10's to low to mid 50's) kind of flop around by comparison and you end up double-picking slower and sloppier.

Combine those cheese-grater-like strings with his picking style, and he shreds picks like butter and if you look close you'll see a pick dispenser mounted down low on the pickguard that holds multiple picks so he can flick the used-up nubs of ones into the audience and slide a fresh new pick into his fingers for the next song. I saw him play at the Orange Show in San Bernardino one year and still have a pick that he threw into the audience, it has a nice melted look to the blunted tip. I keep it in the case of my Fender Jazzmaster.

One heck of a nice guy too, he hung out around below the stage after the show (apparently makes a habit of it) and is very approachable. You can tell his ego eats up the praise but he also doesn't get snooty about it, just smiles and talks....I remember he had this weird vibe around him like you were talking to an alien....while I was talking to him I got that feeling of high-pitched ringing in the ears like you get when you have tinnitus, but more like in your head than your ears. Was an interesting experience!!!

FYI your post led me down several very gratifying rabbit holes through the world of Youtube and various surf music videos...I came to find out that an old favorite local band of mine, whom I had occasion to see many times way back when and really inspired me to get into playing surf music, had a reunion not very long ago...it was quite a surprise to see an old band I knew, and a guitar player I had met and talked to many times, play in my old home town very very recently. Awesome!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=41YvSrk5paQ
(I don't think the weird dude doing the intro is a local, though...)

In time the ol' Del Quads did a fine cover of that tune as well, believe it or not. Dang this has me inspired...nobody's around tonight, I think I'll head down into the basement and make some noise heh heh....

#14: Re: This one goes out to Stoopy... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:24 pm
    ----
"Del-Quads"....weren't those those the carbs on the 374 engine option for the '56 Packard Caribbean? Laughing

auto.howstuffworks.com...ibbean.htm

#15: Re: This one goes out to Stoopy... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:03 am
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
"Del-Quads"....weren't those those the carbs on the 374 engine option for the '56 Packard Caribbean? Laughing

auto.howstuffworks.com...ibbean.htm

Ummm...OH HELL YEAH that's exactly where the name came form, what could be cooler than that??!!!!!

Leastwise that's what I'm gonna claim from here on out....tooo cool!!!!!

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum