Abrams
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Abrams Author: Smashy PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:38 pm
    ----
Okay Abrams Guys - Having received my 1/16th Abrams M1A2 from Jim/JED I want to convert it to an M1A2 SEP.

What are the external differences?

#2: Re: Abrams Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:25 pm
    ----
Well, what's this thing look like?

WE NEED PICS!!!

- Jeff

#3: Re: Abrams Author: Burik PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:12 pm
    ----
Yes, let's see some photos.

Here is an M1A2 SEP at Ft Dix. Brand new - for maintenance training.

#4: Re: Abrams Author: Smashy PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:35 pm
    ----
- JeffStringer
Well, what's this thing look like?

WE NEED PICS!!!
- Jeff

Guys its just a pile of bits and enough brass sheet to build your own moonshine still...

#5: Re: Abrams Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:47 pm
    ----
The next kit has more brass than ever....

Kit No 11; Challenger 2 TES/H - as usual only 10 will be available (January 2012)

The camouflage sheeting is a major problem - its so thin its like handling a razor blade...

Last edited by JimWeb on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

#6: Re: Abrams Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:25 pm
    ----
Well, I build 1/16 scale kits (mostly R/C) and was just interested in what the kit looked like.

I love the M1A2 and Challenger II so you got my attention with this thread. Razz

- Jeff

#7: Re: Abrams Author: 3R22RLocation: Ste-Agathe des Monts QC PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:35 pm
    ----
Question: Can someone tell where I can find a ranking of the world best tanks? Not some B.S. like something out of the military channel? The most numerous one of course are the Abrams, Leo 2s and the Russian T-72s and T-80s but there are new models comming out (Korean XK-2 of example) Can someone help?

#8: Re: Abrams Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:35 pm
    ----
- JimWeb

Kit No 11; Challenger 2 TES/H - as usual only 10 will be available (January 2012)

Only three left...

#9: Re: Abrams Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:51 pm
    ----
- 3R22R
Question: Can someone tell where I can find a ranking of the world best tanks? Not some B.S. like something out of the military channel? The most numerous one of course are the Abrams, Leo 2s and the Russian T-72s and T-80s but there are new models comming out (Korean XK-2 of example) Can someone help?

Who would be qualified to make such an unbiased assessment in the absence of direct confrontations on the battlefield manned by crews of equal training/experience and competent leadership?

Such exercises, on the MC or elsewhere are purely speculative and lack empirical support.

Ford v. Chevy, anyone? .45 v. 9mm?

#10: Re: Abrams Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:36 am
    ----
The most basic yardsticks to compare have always been: Firepower, Mobility, Armor.

But that's only the very, very, basics and dealing only with an equipment point of view since crews are the greatest variable.

Each category can break down into subdivisions,

For example Fire power: gun, munitions, sights, stabilization, etc.

And each of the three major categories are subject to quality control, reliability, survivability etc.

An interesting concept would be to take the best of each sub component to build a tank, much like hot Rod enthusiasts take components from various manufacturers to make a custom vehicle. Money would be the final barrier as to how fast or well you perform. Money = Speed/Performance.

Final variable that throws the whole argument off would be the users requirements. That in itself makes it very hard to compare tanks since each Nation derives that from their perceived greatest threat and operational needs ( Which change all the time based on Doctrine and World events).

I honestly believe any one of the modern tanks out there is just as good as the other. Mission requirements would dictate it's capability and in a prolonged conflict (Cold or Hot) vehicles are adapted/ modified to reduce or eliminate their shortcomings in order to perform adequately. Modern Tanks are much simpler to modify just by swapping out LRU's (Line replaceable Units) and Armor packets. Everything is now components and what time period they were available. M1A1 circa 1990 compared to M1A1 2011 although being the same basic vehicle are miles apart in capabilities. I've been in both and was amazed in what these guys have now.

The best tank is what you can afford that can accomplish the mission requirements you have at hand.

#11: Re: Abrams Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:05 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
- JimWeb

Only three left...

All have been reserved - no more available.

#12: Re: Abrams Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:10 pm
    ----
- Smashy
Okay Abrams Guys - Having received my 1/16th Abrams M1A2 from Jim/JED I want to convert it to an M1A2 SEP.

Externally, the SEP now includes an internal auxillary power unit that resides where the left rear fule tank was. Because of this, the bustle rack mounted APU is gone and there are hatches where the fuel filler cap was on the left side of the back deck. There is also an exhaust port next to the left tail light for the APU. This is the main difference in visual appearance, but there are other upgrades around the hull and turret where fittings were added (external mine plow outlet) and various antenna changes throughout the life of the tanks.

#13: Re: Abrams Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:08 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

- Sabot
- Smashy

Externally, the SEP now includes an internal auxillary power unit that resides where the left rear fule tank was. Because of this, the bustle rack mounted APU is gone and there are hatches where the fuel filler cap was on the left side of the back deck. There is also an exhaust port next to the left tail light for the APU. This is the main difference in visual appearance, but there are other upgrades around the hull and turret where fittings were added (external mine plow outlet) and various antenna changes throughout the life of the tanks.

I think the latest name change is the M1A2 Sep is now called a M1A2 Ver. 1
The ex 5th BCT 1st AD at Ft Bliss was using M1A2 Ver. 2s.
The APU has been replaced by a UPS battery pack and the exhaust port next to the left tail light has been removed.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#14: Re: Abrams Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:44 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- 3R22R

Who would be qualified to make such an unbiased assessment in the absence of direct confrontations on the battlefield manned by crews of equal training/experience and competent leadership?

Such exercises, on the MC or elsewhere are purely speculative and lack empirical support.

Ford v. Chevy, anyone? .45 v. 9mm?

7.62mm v. 5.56 ...

#15: Re: Abrams Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:54 am
    ----
And I agree, superiority can only be measured by active combat deployment against an equal enemy. Not many (if any) modern combat systems can qualify with that taken in account.

-> AFV News Discussion Board