M3 Lee Grant variants
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M3 Lee Grant variants Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:01 pm
    ----
Hello Gents,

is there any website or forum on the Internet where we could have an overview of the M3 Lee and Grant variants? How to tell by seeing the engine deck or side doors that a tank is an M3A3 or an M3A5?

I would like to correctly identify the model of that M3 Grant, which is part of the Yanks Air Museum in Chino, CA, USA, and is or was located by Brent Mullins Jeep Parts in College Station, TX :

thanks

P-O

#2: Re: M3 Lee Grant variants Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:45 pm
    ----
Wiki has a page on it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_Lee
A bit more detail here
www.militaryfactory.co...mor_id=249

#3: Re: M3 Lee Grant variants Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:16 am
    ----
Hi P-O:

That is an M3.

M3 - Riveted hull; rear hull overhang is vertical at the back and does not extend below fenders or over tracks; rectangular screen at front of engine deck (similar to M4 but without armored cover over screen).

M3A1 - Cast hull.

M3A2 - As per M3 but with a welded hull.

M3A3 - Welded hull; rear overhang is sloped at the back and extends well below fenders but not over tracks; two doors with screens at center of engine deck (similar to M4A2).

M3A4 - Riveted hull; rear overhang is sloped at the back and does not extend below fenders but is full hull width; two exhausts on rear plate of overhang; trapedoidal screen at front of engine deck with cast radiator cover immediately behind it (similar to M4A4); spaced track bogies as with M4A4.

M3A5 - As per M3A3 but with a riveted hull.

The larger turret, traditionally considered the Lee/Grant discriminator, was only mounted on the M3, M3A2, M3A3, and M3A5, as far as I can tell. All versions mounted the small turret.

Hope that helps,
KL

#4: Re: M3 Lee Grant variants Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:14 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

That storage box on the top of the right rear hull should make that vehicle a British Grant.

US Lee storage boxes didn't lean inward like the British ones did.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: M3 Lee Grant variants Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:50 pm
    ----
Thanks Kurt and Roy for your answers.

Pierre-Olivier

#6: Re: M3 Lee Grant variants Author: VonForhud PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:15 pm
    ----
This board really has some knowledgeable folks.

#7: Re: M3 Lee Grant variants Author: rexross PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:25 pm
    ----
I find the tread pattern on the track links to be unusual on a Grant/Lee........I have seen this track on the Canadian Ram and its' various versions, but never on a Grant. Very interesting photos!

#8: Re: M3 Lee Grant variants Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:17 am
    ----
Hi!

- rexross
I find the tread pattern on the track links to be unusual on a Grant/Lee........I have seen this track on the Canadian Ram and its' various versions, but never on a Grant. Very interesting photos!

That's the British double I track block. Very common on early lend lease M3s and M4s.

I think that might possible be something the British ordered during the lend lease period prior to the US getting into the war. After that, they had to take what ever we where making for our equipment. Part of the reason the British ended up with Lees after special ordering Grants.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#9: Re: M3 Lee Grant variants Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:22 pm
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
Wiki has a page on it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_Lee
A bit more detail here
www.militaryfactory.co...mor_id=249

Adam,

sorry but it seems that I overlooked your answer. Thanks for your help and researches !!

P-O

#10: Re: M3 Lee Grant variants Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:16 am
    ----
Powerful "gun"!!!

photos:

www.warbirds.in/galler...3-Grant-01

www.warbirds.in/galler...3-Grant-02

M3 Lee at Madras Engineer Group (MEG) Centre, Ulsoor (India)

www.warbirds.in/galler...ore/Ulsoor

#11: Re: M3 Lee Grant variants Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:51 am
    ----
- bialy-r
Powerful "gun"!!!

photos:

www.warbirds.in/galler...3-Grant-01

www.warbirds.in/galler...3-Grant-02

M3 Lee at Madras Engineer Group (MEG) Centre, Ulsoor (India)

www.warbirds.in/galler...ore/Ulsoor

their theory must be, the longer gun, the more dangerous/powerful?

#12: Re: M3 Lee Grant variants Author: PatrikLocation: Czech republic PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:47 am
    ----
www.milweb.net/classifieds.php

Lee/Grant M3A5

#13: Re: M3 Lee Grant variants Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:16 am
    ----
- Patrik
http://www.milweb.net/classifieds.php

Lee/Grant M3A5

"Super rare, Lee/Grant M3A5 Medium Tank

Twin Detroit diesel powered,( not installed but with it ) In very original almost unmolested condition, 98 % complete, Needs full but easy restoration.Near new CDP track, Good roadwheels and tyres. Very reluctant sale, please serious buyers only. Could be restored to order,
07850 957188 Ian Hughes

04 December '12"

#14: Re: M3 Lee Grant variants Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:01 pm
    ----
Ex John Belfield.

-> AFV News Discussion Board