Transcribing 1945 Ordnance Museum Inventory - Help Needed
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Transcribing 1945 Ordnance Museum Inventory - Help Needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:52 pm
    ----
Another interesting find: There was a Schwerer Wehrmachtsschlepper (sWS) in the inventory.

#17: Re: Transcribing 1945 Ordnance Museum Inventory - Help Needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:11 pm
    ----
And a couple more:

"Tank, Medium, PzKw IV, Model G, w/ long 7.5 cm gun" FMCV24 On Hand: 2

"Tank, PzKw IV, Model G, w/ hollow charge protection shield" FMCV54 On Hand: 4 [The one known FMCV54 survivor is the PzBefWg IV at Royal Army and Military History Museum, Brussels]

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Sun May 06, 2012 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

#18: Re: Transcribing 1945 Ordnance Museum Inventory - Help Needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:31 pm
    ----
Oh yeah, and not 1 but 2 BergePanthers...

#19: Re: Transcribing 1945 Ordnance Museum Inventory - Help Needed Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:44 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Another interesting find: There was a Schwerer Wehrmachtsschlepper (sWS) in the inventory.

Hi Neil
What's the info on the sWS ?
Is there a picture available

Walter

#20: Re: Transcribing 1945 Ordnance Museum Inventory - Help Needed Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:06 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Massimo,
Are you familiar with the designation "Geb H. 2541" [German?] for an M40 da 75/18 75mm field howitzer?

Neil

there is an error in the original designation.

It should be Geb H 254(i), however there is something mixed up.

The German designation was F K 254(i), making it a Feld Kanone or field gun

With the desgination Geb H it becomes a Gebirgshaubitze or mountain howitzer.

Michel

#21: Re: Transcribing 1945 Ordnance Museum Inventory - Help Needed Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:32 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Neil

I wonder if that 2nd one was the mysterious Ft Knox 'Bergpanther' that arrived here in Dec 46 along with all the other 'core' vehicles.

Guess I need to follow up on some possible leads out on the ranges....

Regards
Don

#22: Re: Transcribing 1945 Ordnance Museum Inventory - Help Needed Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:41 am
    ----
I've no doubt, that a similar excercise, with the UK, will also find a lot of "missing" vehicles.

#23: Re: Transcribing 1945 Ordnance Museum Inventory - Help Needed Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:57 am
    ----
- Michel_Krauss

With the desgination Geb H it becomes a Gebirgshaubitze or mountain howitzer.l

That would be this 75/18:
www.flickr.com/photos/...9306630228

The gun was also used for the Semovente

Massimo

#24: Re: Transcribing 1945 Ordnance Museum Inventory - Help Needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:47 pm
    ----
- Walter
- Neil_Baumgardner

Hi Neil
What's the info on the sWS ?
Is there a picture available

Walter

No picture, or any other info. Just a line in an a 1945 inventory.

Neil

#25: Re: Transcribing 1945 Ordnance Museum Inventory - Help Needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:57 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
- Michel_Krauss

With the desgination Geb H it becomes a Gebirgshaubitze or mountain howitzer.l

That would be this 75/18:
www.flickr.com/photos/...9306630228

The gun was also used for the Semovente

Massimo

Michel, Massimo,
Thanks for the help.

The catalog number (FMAR804) specifically refers to this piece:

smg.photobucket.com/al...0howitzer/

I knew it was an Italian howitzer. But the 1945 inventory gave the above German designation for the same piece.

Thanks for the help - let me know if any of this does not match up to what is pictured.

Neil

#26: Re: Transcribing 1945 Ordnance Museum Inventory - Help Needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:05 pm
    ----
- Dontos
- Neil_Baumgardner

Neil

I wonder if that 2nd one was the mysterious Ft Knox 'Bergpanther' that arrived here in Dec 46 along with all the other 'core' vehicles.

Guess I need to follow up on some possible leads out on the ranges....

Regards
Don

Yeah, I'm curious about the second King Tiger...

To whatever extent Patton Museum's history of the King Tiger is based on the Ordnance Museum's info, including chassis number, where & when it was captured - it may not be correct.

It often appears that the "history" of an Ordnance Museum relates to the first item under that catalog number. Sometimes that item - as in the Panther Ausf G - was destroyed in testing. A second item under the same catalog number was then kept in the museum collection, its individual history lost/forgotten in favor of the original more well known item's history...

I can only wonder if the museum's first King Tiger was destroyed in testing...

It can make your head spin. In most cases, the museum thankfully only had one of a catalog number item to begin with... But in the cases of multiple items, it makes you wonder...

Neil

#27: Re: Transcribing 1945 Ordnance Museum Inventory - Help Needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:06 pm
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
I've no doubt, that a similar excercise, with the UK, will also find a lot of "missing" vehicles.

Yeah, with the museum having 14 Tiger hulls in 1945 - it really makes me wish I could conduct an archeological dig of the Aberdeen Test Center ranges...

Neil

#28: Re: Transcribing 1945 Ordnance Museum Inventory - Help Needed Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:07 pm
    ----
I doubt that they'll be much there, of any size.
With the amount of UXO around, it ain't going to happen either!

#29: Re: Transcribing 1945 Ordnance Museum Inventory - Help Neede Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:14 pm
    ----
Neil,
It's been years since I culled through the Jarrett Collection in Carlisle, but his old photos and files might lend more information as to what Aberdeen actually had on hand in 1945. Any members close to the Library and Archives there? I'm in Southern Delaware, and no longer an hour away. It appears they also now have Saturday hours (unlike years ago, I had to go there during vacation time) to do research there. Rick

#30: Re: Transcribing 1945 Ordnance Museum Inventory - Help Needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:23 pm
    ----
Yeah, I've heard about that too. Unfortunately its 2.5 hours from where I am.

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board