WW2 P-40 found in desert
-> Officer's Club

#1: WW2 P-40 found in desert Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:32 pm
    ----
-S-

A WW2 P-40 was found in the Sahara desert 70 years after it crash landed. Scroll down and check out the photos...esp the one of the cockpit. I think this will be worth a couple of bucks when restored..

www.huffingtonpost.com...7#s=961594

Hammer Smile Cool Smile Cool Smile

#2: Re: WW2 P-40 found in desert Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:26 pm
    ----
Mr. Green Mr. Green

I bet someone gets that soon.

#3: Re: WW2 P-40 found in desert Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:37 pm
    ----
Imperial War Museum are recovering it.

#4: Re: WW2 P-40 found in desert Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:52 pm
    ----
- Shades

good to hear

#5: Re: WW2 P-40 found in desert Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:40 am
    ----
- piney
- Shades

good to hear

Great! Do they know what happened to the Pilot? I saw 'Lady Be Good' at the Air Force Museum last summer. I remember reading about the recovery of that years ago

#6: Re: WW2 P-40 found in desert Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:32 am
    ----
No.
It was a news item last night;
They're trying to find out.
He wasn't with the aircraft and they say he set off to find help.
Trouble is the nearest village was 200 miles away from the crash site.
It's not likely he made it.
He was a flight sergeant who was a butcher's son from Southend, England.

#7: Re: WW2 P-40 found in desert Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:13 pm
    ----
Very Cool! Thanks for the story!

#8: Re: WW2 P-40 found in desert Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:26 pm
    ----
if you look for the missing instruments ask bushy Razz

#9: Re: WW2 P-40 found in desert Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:35 pm
    ----
A little enterprise for the 'slush fund'...

#10: Re: WW2 P-40 found in desert Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:51 pm
    ----
Some more details about the lost pilot.

Source - My Uncle Denis, pilot of the plane time forgot: www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...death.html
He poses proudly in his RAF uniform and also looks down from the cockpit of his Second World War fighter plane, perhaps ready for a mission against the Desert Fox himself, Erwin Rommel.

These are the first pictures of 24-year-old Flight Sergeant Denis Copping, the wartime pilot who crash-landed his plane in the Sahara and then walked off across the sands to his death.

His story came to light last week when pictures of his Kittyhawk P-40 were published. The battered but well-preserved wreckage was found in the Western Sahara – 70 years after the plane came to grief. It was believed that Flt Sgt Copping had no surviving relatives, but The Mail on Sunday found his nephew, whose family album contains these poignant photographs.

William Pryor-Bennett revealed that, until now, the fate of his uncle had been a mystery because all the family had been told officially was that he was 'missing in action'.

Read the rest of the article at the Source link above.

Wheels

-> Officer's Club