Over-restored?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Over-restored? Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:33 pm
    ----
Looking at Massimo's (superb!) pictures of Overloon, got me thinking.
Are some museum-pieces "Over-restored"?
The paintjobs on the Churchill and Cromwell are "Factory fresh" (Or possibly even neater than when they left the factory?), whereas they both show signs of damage, the Churchill was mined, IIRC and I assume the Cromwell's lacking wheels due to battle damage too.
Yet both are displayed with perfect, scratchless paint and tracks connected, even with the Cromwell's shortened & wrapped around the remaining wheels.
So, should museums consider showing such AFVs (& other exhibits) in a manner that befits their historical fates?

#2: Re: Over-restored? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:02 pm
    ----
I know that I don't answer the question, but I rather like the tanks the way they are displayed at Overloon, more than the way they are "displayed" there :

P-O

#3: Re: Over-restored? Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:32 pm
    ----
Personally I prefer to see them as they were found or taken out of service with all the oil and diesel stains, mud and damage.

For example the Panther wreck at Sinsheim, I love it, the way the displayed it. I can stand and wonder about what were the last moment and the enormous force that destroyed that tank.

Displayed like brandnew with a sign in front looks to clinical to me.

Just my 2 cts

Regards,
Lesley

#4: Re: Over-restored? Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:36 pm
    ----
concerning the churchill and cromwell at Overloon

to my opinion they are not "over restored", they are only cosmetically restored on the outside to give an impression how they looked like

Both the churchill and the cromwell are actually empty hulls and there are a lot of open hatches and such to take a look inside.
All that remained of the internal fittings is beyond recognition, with the Churchill not having a belly plate
Before I forget, the track of the Cromwell is actually post-war it have been "fixed" like this to have a rolling chasis.

However this is also true for both war relic Sherman tanks.
They look like, how they would have been 70 years ago before the batle

If you would state that the Overloon Panther is over-restored, I have to agree with that.
It doesn't look authentic, it doesn't look like it did about 70 years ago, many parts are fake, etc.

Michel

-> AFV News Discussion Board