M48A2C at Aberdeen, MD VFW.
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M48A2C at Aberdeen, MD VFW. Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:50 pm
    ----
I took a few photos of this today. Rick

Last edited by Rick_Eshleman on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: M48A2C at Aberdeen, MD VFW. Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:56 pm
    ----
Construction equipment nearby made this a fun shoot. The ladder does work OK for high angle shots. Here's what's left of the modification plate on rear, and heavy paint makes SN obscurred. It's like the Proving Ground items, somewhat neglected. Rick

Last edited by Rick_Eshleman on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: M48A2 at Aberdeen, MD VFW. Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:11 pm
    ----
M48A2C?

#4: Re: M48A2C at Aberdeen, MD VFW. Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:01 pm
    ----
Mark,
I would say that this is the M48A2C. Just based on the lack of the tension idler, which is the only visable external component to ID it. The rangefinder would be M17C in this version along with other small changes in fire control layout. It's strange how adding a "C" on this variant doesn't symbolize "non-ballistic"! I photographed all visable markings on this for the record. The paint was just heavy enough to obscure Serial numbers. This is not an ex-USMC vehicle (like someone scrawled on it) but US Army 9B1158 RN. The later type track is also an add-on.
References- M48 Patton in Action page 18, (C) 1984 Jim Mesko.
and US Military Tracked Vehicles, (C) 1992 Fred Crismon.

Rick

Last edited by Rick_Eshleman on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: M48A2 at Aberdeen, MD VFW. Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:44 pm
    ----
Yes it is Mark,

Really nice survivor, wish they could get a muzzle and bore evacuator for her. Bet she's a former Aberdeen tank. Low Army RN makes her an early A2 but converted to A2C standards (If it's actual, seems to be). Really interesting that someone spray painted M48A2 USMC all over her. Probably some one in that VFW is a Marine and is biased. Be like marking an M60A3 as a Marine tank. To my knowledge the Marines went from M48A1 to M48A3 when they converted theirs. That's why only the Army had M67A1 flame tanks, while the USMC had M67 and then converted to M67A2. That mod plate is for the final drive and when and where it was rebuilt last. Wish she was closer to me, not that many M48A2's around to inspect in my neck of the woods since Knox sent all their stuff to Georgia. Thanks for sharing Rick.

#6: Re: M48A2C at Aberdeen, MD VFW. Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:44 pm
    ----
Joe D,
Thanks for your input, I've corrected the title. I was going to add some 1986 photos of a M48A2 behind the fence at Aberdeen, but they were too large! Rick

#7: Re: M48A2C at Aberdeen, MD VFW. Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:49 pm
    ----
When I worked on M48A5's at Fort Irwin the #6 roadarm housings still had a hole for the tensioner. It was covered with a plate.

#8: Re: M48A2C at Aberdeen, MD VFW. Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:22 pm
    ----
M48A2 in 1986

#9: Re: M48A2C at Aberdeen, MD VFW. Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:24 pm
    ----
M48A2 from TM.

#10: Re: M48A2C at Aberdeen, MD VFW. Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:01 pm
    ----
Rick,

You have just help me get concrete proof of a group of tanks prior location without realizing it. In the background you can see a couple of really tired old M60A2's. Notice they have blades on them, something no A2 unit had or were equipped with. They were used in some sort of breaching/mobility experiment and were outfitted with the blade kits for that reason. Notice one doesn't have a gun. Those tanks eventually ended up at Anniston's scrap yard. One then found it's way to the museum in Anderson IN and became a subject of much discussion amongst A2 tankers on another site, since none could see how it was possible to mount the Blade kit with the CBSS system or even why based on their mission. I had knowledge of the experiment but had no real proof they were ever at Aberdeen until now. Here is a picture of the same tank at Anniston's bone yard. One ended up becoming the first ROBAT vehicle before they started using M60A3 hulls.

M60A2 Dozer

Picture came off the old tanxheaven site.

#11: Re: M48A2 at Aberdeen, MD VFW. Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:38 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Yes it is Mark,

Wish she was closer to me, not that many M48A2's around to inspect in my neck of the woods since Knox sent all their stuff to Georgia. Thanks for sharing Rick.

Well if you ever get up this way we got a few 48s and a bunch of 60s for you around here! including a low number 'Training Use Only' M60.

The back bedroom is here whenever you want to come up, can even loan you a vehicle if you fly up! Welcome

#12: Re: M48A2C at Aberdeen, MD VFW. Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:19 pm
    ----
Hopefully Bob I can take you up on your gracious offer,

Like Knox though, a major reason for coming your way was the collection at Aberdeen, which now is gone. Seems like the timing of all these re alignments to the museums, I mean training aids, were an evil plot designed to coincide with my retirement, effectively shutting the door in my face for a while now that I have time to actually visit them. Both Knox and Aberdeen had those dream collections I always wanted unfettered access to, but never had the time while in to establish the contacts or even visit. Irony was I was at Fort Knox for 3 years in the 90's. My thoughts were that they'll be there when I retire, never imagined the School House would move, seemed blasphemous to even consider it as a Tanker. Next time I head up to Hampton (maybe 2013) I plan on driving up your way to check out some of those unique tanks in your neck of the woods. Thanks again for the offer.

-> AFV News Discussion Board