General Motors XM-1
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: General Motors XM-1 Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:03 am
    ----
I recently saw pictures of the General Motors XM-1 prototype at the Littlefield collection. Does anyone know if any other copies of this prototype were made and if so, are they still around?

#2: Re: General Motors XM-1 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:18 pm
    ----
Not sure of the exact pilots made but I'm pretty sure the one at Portola Valley is the sole survivor....

Regards
Don

#3: Re: General Motors XM-1 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:40 am
    ----
- Dontos
Not sure of the exact pilots made but I'm pretty sure the one at Portola Valley is the sole survivor....

Regards
Don

That was my understanding as well, per the late owner.

#4: Re: General Motors XM-1 Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:59 am
    ----
Walter,
I've came across GM XM1 photos, but no pilot models after Chrysler won the contract. I think Don is correct in the only surviving GM pilot is in the Littlefield Collection. Rick

PS: Check page 2 of My Gallery M1 XM1 MBTs, I have 4 GM Pilot photos posted there.

Last edited by Rick_Eshleman on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: General Motors XM-1 Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:30 am
    ----
Very interesting. I wonder if the engine is still in it. That would make it one of the few remaining AVCR-1360 engines left that I know of.

#6: Re: General Motors XM-1 Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:00 pm
    ----
That is a unique vehicle. It was the only actual XM1 prototype or test bed made by GM.

In addition to the competing validation prototype made by Chrysler, Chrysler apparently made three or four other test beds, some for automotive testing (no turrets, or mock-up turrets). This was prior to the 11 Full Scale Engineering Development (FSED) Pilot Vehicles.

A couple of hybrids with the original Chrysler prototype turrets on PV (FSED) hulls were located at TACOM in the late 1990s. Some of the hulls had been converted to AVDS-1790 engine, and one had an experimental hydraulic suspension. I have no idea what became of these vehicles. They had been stored in the General Dynamics "boneyard" in the test track at the Detroit tank plant, but they had been moved over by the Mound Road gate at TACOM. They are nowhere to be seen around there now.

The Chrysler designations for these other pre-FSED prototypes may have been ATR31/FV1, PV31/FV2, ATR14/FV3, and FV4.

Geoff Walden

#7: Re: General Motors XM-1 Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:28 pm
    ----
I'm going to Littlefields in Feb, any requests for pics?

#8: Re: General Motors XM-1 Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:59 pm
    ----
Geoff, Thanks for the GM XM1 update! Armyjunk, I sure would like to see some photos of it and other vehicle Littlefield Collection has. Rick

#9: Re: General Motors XM-1 Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:04 am
    ----
I sent an email to the MVTF asking about the condition of the GM XM-1. They said:

"The XM-1 was received without an engine or transmission. Most interior systems were also removed. It had been used as a 'target' on a small arms range and is in pretty bad shape. The torsion bars had failed and we gather loose parts from the area. It is also soon to go to a better home for restoration efforts."

#10: Re: General Motors XM-1 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:37 am
    ----
- Rick_Eshleman
Geoff, Thanks for the GM XM1 update! Armyjunk, I sure would like to see some photos of it and other vehicle Littlefield Collection has. Rick

Rick,
You might want to try to pin that down a bit for A.J.'s visit....the collection is....extensive. Wink

I don't know how current this inventory is, and what's accessable at any given time, but it's a good place to start.

www.mvtf.org/col_categ...faultimage

#11: Re: General Motors XM-1 Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:30 am
    ----
Doug, Wow, I didn't realize how extensive the Littlefield collection is!
A. J., GM XM1 and T47E1 would be my main interests! If I ever get there I could spend days photographing that collection! Thanks, Rick

Saturday, I expect to be at VMMV. I'll have some photos from there. Any specific requests? Also, Friday I hope to photo the T49 tank at Ft. AP Hill, and stop by the USMC National Museum in Quantico, VA.

#12: Re: General Motors XM-1 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:06 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Would suggest anyone wanting to visit the Littlefield collection, try to get in touch with Chris "toadman" Hughes. He goes there a lot, has made a lot of photo CDs available of items in that collection. I think he also acts as a tour guide. You can find him on face book.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts out!

Last edited by Roy_A_Lingle on Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total

#13: Re: General Motors XM-1 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:10 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

Would suggest anyone wanting to visit the Littlefield collection, try to get in touch with Chris "the toadman". He goes there a lot, have made a lot of photo CDs available of items in that collection. I think he also acts as a tour guide.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts out!

toadmanstankpictures.com/

Public service announcement.

-> AFV News Discussion Board