SFC Button at Ft Lewis now......
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: SFC Button at Ft Lewis now...... Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:03 am
    ----
- Tichenor
I have SN 52499 for this M4A1(76)W, provided by Kurt Laughlin.

Michel

There were two, side-by-side, when I visited back in 2000. One was HVSS with a weird cupola, perhaps from an M59 or something, and it might have been ex-French. Later that year I wrote the museum and one of their people went out and looked at those two plus the M4A1E9 at the museum (SN 734).

That serial (and that from the M4A1E9) came from the data plate inside, so apparently they have/had access. (I think the two out on base were open.) They couldn't find a dataplate on the HVSS tank, but we now know that the AT (P-O: Is that the abbreviation for the French Army, or AdT?) stamped the serial on the front of the tank inside of a box:

the.shadock.free.fr/sh...serial.JPG

KL

#32: Re: SFC Button at Ft Lewis now...... Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:45 am
    ----
- Kurt_Laughlin
but we now know that the AT (P-O: Is that the abbreviation for the French Army, or AdT?) stamped the serial on the front of the tank inside of a box

there is no official abbreviation for the French Army...

P-O

#33: Re: SFC Button at Ft Lewis now...... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:37 am
    ----
I hope the link I have provided below works and that people can see my photo's on Photobucket. I didn't even realized some of the pictures go back to 2006-07 when I visited the Ft Eustis museum. I also added my visit today to the Chehalis, WA. Veterans Memorial Museum. This was a VERY nice museum that I wish everyone could visit.

s64.photobucket.com/us...t=3&page=1

#34: Re: SFC Button at Ft Lewis now...... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:36 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
I hope the link I have provided below works and that people can see my photo's on Photobucket. I didn't even realized some of the pictures go back to 2006-07 when I visited the Ft Eustis museum. I also added my visit today to the Chehalis, WA. Veterans Memorial Museum. This was a VERY nice museum that I wish everyone could visit.

s64.photobucket.com/us...amp;page=1

I see you couldn't resist getting under the Patrol Boat, Air Cushion, either. I worked those over pretty good myself. The size of the BARC took me by surprise "in person".

I got all those toys under the shed, like the "Alien Loader" prototype and the gussied up "public version" of the hovercar. Oh yeah, that's just what we want, personal transportation that handles like a '50's Corvette on icy streets! Bumper cars for the road! Laughing

#35: Re: SFC Button at Ft Lewis now...... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:22 am
    ----
I found two more tanks today on Ft Lewis that sit in front of Building 04074 (JBLM Range Support Branch building), and the corner of Stryker Ave and Kaufman Ave. I will have pictures shortly but here is what I know, (or think I know).
M47 with '29' stamped into both front tow lugs.
M60 with '1270' stamped into its tow lugs and '9B4606' stamped on the leading front edge of the hull. This tank had weird welded patches on the sides of the turret.
Pictures coming in a few minutes.

#36: Re: SFC Button at Ft Lewis now...... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:32 am
    ----
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

#37: Re: SFC Button at Ft Lewis now...... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:39 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button

[img][/img]

I wonder how many current tankers would recognize what that's even for? Laughing

#38: Re: SFC Button at Ft Lewis now...... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:53 am
    ----
That is why I took that photo, "old school" haha. I actually thought these two tanks were different/odd and might be of interest but I guess not. No one ever mentioned knowing these vehicles were here yet they appear to have been in these positions for many years.

#39: Re: SFC Button at Ft Lewis now...... Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:35 am
    ----
The M47 was in a courtyard between residences or offices back in 2000. It is notable as the turret casting has the vestiges of a pistol port on the left side. (The M47 didn't have a pistol port.) The turret is apparently a pre-production version that was used rather than scrapped.

KL

#40: Re: SFC Button at Ft Lewis now...... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:27 pm
    ----
Thanks Kurt, I saw those spots and thought they were not what I had seen before. Both tanks seemed 'different' to me for some reason.

#41: Re: SFC Button at Ft Lewis now...... Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:27 pm
    ----
Jeff,

We were on I-5 North, driving by Fort Lewis the other day and spotted some stuff that doesn't seem to be in the register. We didn't have time to get on base and check them out. If you have time can you please take a look at the following coordinates?

41st Division Rd & Militia Rd intersection - Near the gate on Militia Rd we saw an F-101 Voodoo and a tank (47.118269,-122.559572)
Also a Stuart tank (47.115129,-122.564253) and 2 artillery pieces (47.114609,-122.565063).

Thanks!
VB

#42: Re: SFC Button at Ft Lewis now...... Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:40 pm
    ----
Is the "mystery box" where infantry used to plug a phone in to talk to the tank's crew?

#43: Re: SFC Button at Ft Lewis now...... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:29 pm
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
Is the "mystery box" where infantry used to plug a phone in to talk to the tank's crew?

Yep. The handset is missing, but usually resides there in the box with everything you need. That's what the clip is for on the door.

#44: Re: SFC Button at Ft Lewis now...... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:34 am
    ----
Vagabond,
I will do my best to check that out, probably over the Veterans Day weekend. I know I saw some items from the freeway, (no aircraft) and tried to get to them and they appeared to be in the Air National Guard area. I drove up to that gate and I felt like I was in the TV show, 'Walking Dead'! The gate looked abandoned and unused for quite some time. I will have to find another way to get in. Approximately which exit to the post were you driving by? Were you heading north or south on the I-5? Main gate is exit 120 and McChord AFB is exit 125.

#45: Re: SFC Button at Ft Lewis now...... Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:22 pm
    ----
Those vehicles are at Camp Murray of the Washington National Guard. They are listed in the register under Tacoma. I don't see an exit number but they (and the main gate) are in the SW corner of the I-5/Jackson Ave interchange. They look to be right at if not outside the gate facility.

KL

-> AFV News Discussion Board