Flying Heritage Collection - AFVs and Artillery - Gallery
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Flying Heritage Collection - AFVs and Artillery - Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:52 am
    ----
Hello All,

We have posted a gallery of photos of the AFVs and Artillery on display at Paul Allen’s Flying Heritage Collection in Everett, WA. The gallery will be under construction for a while and photos of the awesome aircraft collection will be forthcoming. Might be awhile…… Smile

Sherman experts - I couldn’t see any numbers in the usual spots but did find 852 stamped into the right front “shoulder” area - see photo below.

www.vgbimages.com/AirM...256_kPSkKr

#2: Re: Flying Heritage Collection - AFVs and Artillery - Gallery Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:04 am
    ----
Very nice pictures, Paul, many thanks to you and Loren for the presentation.
As a sidenote, the T-34-85 has many Czechoslovak postwar features (headlight guard, Notek-type night driving light, horn), but lacks the infantry signaling button behind and below the rear left fuel drum. It also has extended exhausts, which I've seen mostly on Egyptian examples. It also has the postwar tow cable holders.

A bit of search found an explanation for the discrepancies:
www.flyingheritage.com...ntentId=36

#3: Re: Flying Heritage Collection - AFVs and Artillery - Gallery Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:22 am
    ----
Thanks for the pictures Paul.
Just a note, it's not an Hetzer, it's a G-13. Hope the owner doesn't feel offended this time Smile

Massimo

#4: Re: Flying Heritage Collection - AFVs and Artillery - Galler Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:49 pm
    ----
Hello everyone,

that's a very nice set of pictures.

The small hatch M4A1 was manufactured by Pressed Steel Car (as indicated on the museum's sign). The welded lower hull (as opposed to the earlier riveted lower hull) indicates that the tank was manufactured after April, 1943. The serial number can't be 852.

It can't be a "sequence number" (factory number, indicating how many tanks were built before this one), because PSC built 877 tanks from the start of production to February, 1943, and they were still producing riveted lower hull at that time.

One clue that could help to date the tank are the "bumps" on the drivers' hatches, which are thought to be a late addition to the hull casting (circled in red in the picture below). The 400 last small hatch M4A1(75)s are known to have had "cast in applique" on the hull sides, which is not the case on that example. So I'd say that the tank was manufactured between August and October, 1943. Thus, the differential housing is probably not original to the tank, because it would have had received the late "sharp nose" diff. housing (which appeared in July, 1943). The "all round" vision cupola on the turret also replaced the "split hatch" cupola during an upgrade. The siren was originally located on the front glacis, not on the fender, so that's probably a mistake done during the restoration. However, the applique armor was probably applied at the factory.

Last edited by the_shadock on Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:32 pm; edited 5 times in total

#5: Re: Flying Heritage Collection - AFVs and Artillery - Galler Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:05 pm
    ----
On M4A1s, the manufacturers didn't indicate the SN on the outside of the tanks (towing lugs, diffferential housing), as opposed to most of the welded hull tanks. One thing that could help to know the date of manufacture would be to know the "sequence number", which is usually found there :

Pierre-Olivier

#6: Re: Flying Heritage Collection - AFVs and Artillery - Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:47 am
    ----
Thanks Gents for the support and education - as usual!

Costas - Thanks for the link to the FHC info on the T-34/85. The 2 88mm guns on display are also of Czech origin - maybe they got a nice package deal. According to the docent I spoke with, FHC has a third 88 in storage, as well.

Massimo - It's interesting that the "Hetzer" is actually a G-13 as the aircraft in Mr Allen's collection are highly respected for the level of accuracy and authenticity in their restoration.

P-O - I took photos of the area of the M4A1 where the build number/sequence number ought to be, but couldn't make anything out.

#7: Re: Flying Heritage Collection - AFVs and Artillery - Galler Author: vmmv1Location: virginia PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:52 pm
    ----
That is a Hetzer. Not a G 13. It might have seen post war service but that does not make it a G 13.

#8: Re: Flying Heritage Collection - AFVs and Artillery - Gallery Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:49 pm
    ----
It has a StuK 40 gun. That makes it a G-13.
More details here:
www.com-central.net/in...ic&t=16354

Massimo

#9: Re: Flying Heritage Collection - AFVs and Artillery - Gallery Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:17 pm
    ----
For what's worth, that tank is listed as G-13 also by Martin Haudenschild, who since many years maintains a list of preserved Swiss tanks across the globe.

Now, I understand you may never heard about Martin, but he is considered a reputable source in Switzerland. He had been in a unique position since he served for a very long time in Thun and now works for the The Historical Swiss Army Material Foundation (HSAM).

Massimo

#10: Re: Flying Heritage Collection - AFVs and Artillery - Gallery Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:21 pm
    ----
Thanks for sharing these nice photos
I do like the searchlight and the generator

Walter

#11: Re: Flying Heritage Collection - AFVs and Artillery - Galler Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:04 pm
    ----
Hello,

I've found some pictures of the M4A1 on Flickr and the "sequence number" is 2492, which makes it an M4A1 built in August, 1943.

P-O

-> AFV News Discussion Board