Panzer IV fahrgestell number
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Panzer IV fahrgestell number Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:12 pm
    ----
Does anyone here know where the chassis number would be stamped on the hull of a Panzer IV?

Thanks,
Garry

#2: Re: Panzer IV fahrgestell number Author: sil3ntLocation: Poznan, Poland PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:40 pm
    ----
Here:

#3: Re: Panzer IV fahrgestell number Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:41 am
    ----
Thanks. Right below the driver's visor should not be hard to find.

Garry

#4: Re: Panzer IV fahrgestell number Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:57 am
    ----
As a follow-up on this, I am looking for leads in finding original Panzer IV H fenders. They will be used in a restoration. Here is a photo of the tread pattern on the fender. armorfortheages.com/Pa...fender.jpg Any help in locating original fenders would be appreciated. I'm sure the owners will pay a reasonable price for them if they even exist.

Also, and I know this is a long shot but the members here are very knowledgeable, the chassis number is 85575 and I would like to find out if anyone here has references and can determine the manufacturer of this particular Panzer IV. Even better if it can be determined which sub-contractor supplied the fender stock and if there is anyway to find out which unit(s) this vehicle was issued to.

Thanks,
Garry

#5: Re: Panzer IV fahrgestell number Author: clausb PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:46 pm
    ----
According til Spielbergers last book on the Panzer IV, the chassis numbers 85351 to 85750 were allocated to Nibelungen-Werke in Austria for an order for 400 Panzer IV Ausf. H.
Nibelungen-Werke recieved orders for 2400 Ausf. H,, the two later orders being for 500 (86601-87100) and 1500 (89101-90600).
Production at Nibelungen-Werke started in June 1943 and they reached 400 vehicles produced in September 1943. The made some 1300 Ausf. H chassis all together of which 1250 were finished as tanks, the remainder being used for various SP-guns.

I know restorers of WWII vehicles have been able to get some data from Thomas Jentz, but who handles his papers after his demise in 2012 and whether they can help, I dont know. It might be possible to know when the vehicles was finished and what arsenal it was delivered to.

#6: Re: Panzer IV fahrgestell number Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:50 pm
    ----
Thanks for the info Claus. I will have to buy that book. I'm going to have the owner do a search for vendor codes to see if any correspond to manufacturers that are still in business.

Garry

#7: Re: Panzer IV fahrgestell number Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:50 pm
    ----
- Garry_Redmon
I'm going to have the owner do a search for vendor codes to see if any correspond to manufacturers that are still in business.

Garry, in case you do I have fairly good coverage of German tank manufacturers that may be of interest (I don't know offhand if any made the Pz IV fenders):

Tank Factories:
Germany
Austria
Czech Republic
Poland

#8: Re: Panzer IV fahrgestell number Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:46 pm
    ----
Trevor, thanks for that link. Maybe it will help locate subcontractors for the Panzer IV.

Garry

-> AFV News Discussion Board