Farewell to the King of the Kustomizers
-> Officer's Club

#1: Farewell to the King of the Kustomizers Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:26 am
    ----
Hate to bring it up but I just read that icon George Barris passed away:

www.cnn.com/2015/11/05...index.html

What a great guy - stayed active in the community and I've even seen him on some recent car shows.

He did so much more than the Batmobile... the Munster Mobile and Drag-U-La, totally wicked kool stuff, and my favorites. Hell he even made the letter "K" stylish!

Bummer, best wishes to his family, and hope his kids keep their LA shop going.

#2: Re: Farewell to the King of the Kustomizers Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:45 am
    ----
His designs tended to a bit eccentric and over-the-top for my tastes, but he certainly represented the extremes of the period like no one else and his stature in the custom community is near peerless...not so much for his workmanship (which could be dodgy) but for his vision and ability to deliver on demand for Hollywood extremely memorable designs. I doubt any other single builder ever had so many models based on his original creations. Indeed the passing of a legend.

#3: Re: Farewell to the King of the Kustomizers Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:53 am
    ----
{ 8-[

#4: Re: Farewell to the King of the Kustomizers Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:07 am
    ----
We will see how long it takes, if ever, before someone of his creative genius can be found. Truly the loss of an iconic legend in Kustom Kars creations. Sad

Wheels

#5: Re: Farewell to the King of the Kustomizers Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:21 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
His designs tended to a bit eccentric and over-the-top for my tastes, but he certainly represented the extremes of the period like no one else and his stature in the custom community is near peerless...not so much for his workmanship (which could be dodgy) but for his vision and ability to deliver on demand for Hollywood extremely memorable designs. I doubt any other single builder ever had so many models based on his original creations. Indeed the passing of a legend.

Well said. I was thinking Ed Roth came close with some of his stuff, Orbitron, Mysterion, etc, but cars were just one of his art interests. As you say, when it came to delivering on demand, Barris could get the job done. I think the car from the movie "The Car" (now there is an awkward phrase) was also one of his works that left an impression on many including myself.

#6: Re: Farewell to the King of the Kustomizers Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:58 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
- JG300-Ascout

Well said. I was thinking Ed Roth came close with some of his stuff, Orbitron, Mysterion, etc, but cars were just one of his art interests. As you say, when it came to delivering on demand, Barris could get the job done. I think the car from the movie "The Car" (now there is an awkward phrase) was also one of his works that left an impression on many including myself.

"The Car", indeed a complete gallery of all his builds can be found here:

www.barris.com/cars.php

-> Officer's Club