Fort Irwin OC Sheridans
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Fort Irwin OC Sheridans Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:15 pm
    ----
I have gotten back into model building and I have an old Tamiya Sheridan kit that I want to build as an OC vehicle from Fort Irwin in the late 80's to early 90's. I guess my googling skills just aren't up to the task because I can't seem to find any pics of them. Can you guys help?

#2: Re: Fort Irwin OC Sheridans Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:40 pm
    ----
I just reviewed Robert Burik's book "In Detail-NTC Fort Irwin" (to which I contributed) and could find no examples of OC Sheridans. HMMWV's and OH-58's yes, but not Sheridans. Nor did I see any during my two visits in the early 2000's. My impression is that they did not use M551's as OC transportation, but I cannot be certain. I have LOTS of VISMOD pics of Sheridans, but none as OC's.

You might want to check with Scott Cunningham on FB, he's a field grade and spent quite a bit of time there...maybe contact him to confirm...he's generally pretty helpful on stuff like this.

#3: Re: Fort Irwin OC Sheridans Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:12 am
    ----
I went there in 87 with the LAARNG (Desert Guard 87) 1/156 AR. I seem to recall that in the live fire area, the OC's ran around in 551's due to an incident with an earlier rotation that suffered a fatality to an OC. I could be wrong...to many dead brain cells since. Will check out this guy on FB.

#4: Re: Fort Irwin OC Sheridans Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:18 am
    ----
I sent Scott a message. Seems we are both members of USABOT (United States Army Brotherhood of Tankers).That may help me in getting an answer.

#5: Re: Fort Irwin OC Sheridans Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:52 am
    ----
- Tanklord
I sent Scott a message. Seems we are both members of USABOT (United States Army Brotherhood of Tankers).That may help me in getting an answer.

Good deal. Scott also takes a lot of pictures and I know from experience he has quite a few from NTC.

#6: Re: Fort Irwin OC Sheridans Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:04 am
    ----
I posted the question on USABOT's FB page and a few of them remembered 551's used as OC vehicles in the live fire areas in the 80's. Now to see if any pics surface. I remember the gun tube being cut back to the mantlet.

#7: Re: Fort Irwin OC Sheridans Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:08 pm
    ----
I was stationed at NTC 87-89,

OC's did use M551's for a while since a fatality during live fire (what I was told, before I got there). Small arms incident. Between that and the occasional "Danger Close" artillery that wasn't planned, happened to me in 02, M551's were pressed into service for a while until M113's replaced them. Squadron Signal "M551 Sheridan in Action" by David Doyle has one picture of an OC M551. It's on page 50, bottom right. It's an early image, since the tank is still OD green. They were Desert Sand when I was there but still had the same antenna array and markings. Tank is just like BMP VisMod 551, barrel cut down and no .50 mount. Our's still had the full tube to attach fake gun. If some one has access to OP's group archives, there is a gold mine of video and pictures there. Pretty much everything was filmed during the rotation.

#8: Re: Fort Irwin OC Sheridans Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:14 pm
    ----
Thanks Joe. I talked with Scott Cunningham and he said the fatality was a colonel whose jeep got run over. He does not remember the 551's being used as such, just the M113's. I have purchased a book from MMP in Czech Republic which is supposed to have a ton of pics. Will let you know what I find.

#9: Re: Fort Irwin OC Sheridans Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:21 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
I just reviewed Robert Burik's book "In Detail-NTC Fort Irwin" (to which I contributed) and could find no examples of OC Sheridans. HMMWV's and OH-58's yes, but not Sheridans. Nor did I see any during my two visits in the early 2000's. My impression is that they did not use M551's as OC transportation, but I cannot be certain. I have LOTS of VISMOD pics of Sheridans, but none as OC's.

You might want to check with Scott Cunningham on FB, he's a field grade and spent quite a bit of time there...maybe contact him to confirm...he's generally pretty helpful on stuff like this.

AAARRRRGH! I just ordered this book thinking it would have pics. Oh well, I guess I can do a couple of Vis-Mods.

Note to reading audience, pay attention when Doug Kibbey answers a post, it could save you money! LOL!

#10: Re: Fort Irwin OC Sheridans Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:25 pm
    ----
The only Colonel I know of that got killed back then in a jeep incident was COL Hamby, who the OPFOR award was named after. Was the Regimental/BDE Commander for the OPFOR. Jeep flipped north side on Barstow Road. Area was near "Conway's" grave (Old Prospector) and Debnam pass. Was marked while I was there.

Another Field Grade got killed that was an OC. .50 cal round if I remember right. Was in Humvee. Place was dangerous the time I was there. Fatality just about every rotation.

#11: Re: Fort Irwin OC Sheridans Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:26 pm
    ----
Out of curiosity, what does OC stand for? I can check my files

#12: Re: Fort Irwin OC Sheridans Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:42 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
The only Colonel I know of that got killed back then in a jeep incident was COL Hamby, who the OPFOR award was named after. Was the Regimental/BDE Commander for the OPFOR. Jeep flipped north side on Barstow Road. Area was near "Conway's" grave (Old Prospector) and Debnam pass. Was marked while I was there.

Another Field Grade got killed that was an OC. .50 cal round if I remember right. Was in Humvee. Place was dangerous the time I was there. Fatality just about every rotation.

Thanks Joe.I would rather be corrected than continue to give truth to barracks rumors and latrine lies. Heard so many over the years, could probably start a multipage thread on them.

#13: Re: Fort Irwin OC Sheridans Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:10 am
    ----
- silviop15
Out of curiosity, what does OC stand for? I can check my files

"Observer/Controller". Essentially "referees" that oversee the actions between the red and blue teams, render judgements about disputes and correct practices that might be unsafe or outside the rules.

#14: Re: Fort Irwin OC Sheridans Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:37 am
    ----
- Joe_D
I was stationed at NTC 87-89,

OC's did use M551's for a while since a fatality during live fire (what I was told, before I got there). Small arms incident. Between that and the occasional "Danger Close" artillery that wasn't planned, happened to me in 02, M551's were pressed into service for a while until M113's replaced them. Squadron Signal "M551 Sheridan in Action" by David Doyle has one picture of an OC M551. It's on page 50, bottom right. It's an early image, since the tank is still OD green. They were Desert Sand when I was there but still had the same antenna array and markings. Tank is just like BMP VisMod 551, barrel cut down and no .50 mount. Our's still had the full tube to attach fake gun. If some one has access to OP's group archives, there is a gold mine of video and pictures there. Pretty much everything was filmed during the rotation.

Silly me....I contributed to that book also and didn't even think to look there as I tend to think of it as a VN-centric book. Rolling Eyes

#15: Re: Fort Irwin OC Sheridans Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:41 pm
    ----
Got the book and WOW, it was well worth the price. Got the two Squadron Signal M551 books coming too. Just picked up another kit too. Oh the possibilities!

-> AFV News Discussion Board