visit USA
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: visit USA Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:04 pm
    ----
My boss decided that I have to go on a 12 week technical course in Bingen, WA (near Portland, OR) which is a great opportunity to look for tank, aircraft and other military hardware.

Suggestions?

Also, is it allowed to go as foreigner to a local gunrange and fire some interesting hardware?

Regards

#2: Re: visit USA Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:14 am
    ----
As to your second question, I know of no Federal prohibition on that. There is a range in Las Vegas that does this; I'm sure there are many foreigners as customers. It might come down to the policy of the range owner. You will probably need your passport. It's a crime for a prohibited person (e.g. a felon) to even hold a firearm, so I'm sure the owners want to check if you are prohibited. As a foreigner, you could easily say that under the current policy of "extreme vetting", you can't be a bad guy or you wouldn't be allowed in the USA . . .

I searched "machine gun rental oregon" and got a few hits:

beavercreekarmory.com/
tritacshooting.com/rental-guns/
www.thebaronsden.com/tommy.php

You are at least 12 years old, right? That seems to be the lowest age allowed . . .

There's a place in Reno Nevada that has M2HB cal. .50 for rent, $8 per round, $700 minimum.

KL

#3: Re: visit USA Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:59 am
    ----
Make sure you grab the Oregon and Washington AFV Maps and GPS files before you go!

Regarding aircraft, I recommend making the trip to Madras, OR to see the Erickson collection, Seattle, WA for The Museum of Flight, Everett, WA for Flying Heritage and Combat Armor museum & Historic Flight Foundation, McMinnville, OR to see the Hughes Spruce Goose at Evergreen Air Museum.

Also, the aircraft display at Joint Base Lewis-McChord is terrific and you could likely go see the outside AFV exhibits at the Ft Lewis museum (I think the museum is closed for refurbishment, but check the website) - it can be a bit of a hassle to get onto the base, though - and that's as a US citizen.

Have fun!

#4: Re: visit USA Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:29 pm
    ----
Some interpretations Section 18 USC 922 of the US Code are that it is illegal for anyone coming in under a nonimmigrant visa to handle firearms. In particular, some students that came in under student visas have been deported for going to ranges.

#5: Re: visit USA Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:55 pm
    ----
Thanks for the info. Today I (and collegues) got the final go. Looking forward to it! Last time I visited the USA was in 2006 (Ft Leonard Wood).

Regards,
Lesley

-> AFV News Discussion Board