Fargin' Cable Modems!
-> Hardware

#1: Fargin' Cable Modems! Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:49 pm
    ----
ARG!! Got back form a trip to Texas on Thursday nite, to find our Internet connection wasn't working...after doing the usual troubleshooting myself with no luck, called Comcast,and the earliest they could schedule someone out was today (Sunday) at dinnertime.

Found 1) weak-looking connection outside, replaced. 2) Weak signal in the basement, we bypassed a splitter ( with 6 TV's in the house, there are a few, lol) 3) Bad cable from last splitter to cable modem, replaced, and 4) BAD POWER SUPPLY to cable modem - this was the real culprit.

So here's my question - a while back, a Comcast techie told me to have my cable modem powered up 24/7,and not just power it up with the computer. That keeps it from having to re-register itself, supposedly.

However, I have always found that the kind of power supplies being used, the little black box with the outlet on it, always heat up since they have no cooling, and are encased in an epoxy-like substance, and the constant heat leads to their ultimate demise.

Whatta youze guys do? Always on, or on as needed?

#2: Re: Fargin' Cable Modems! Author: RAF92_WarhawkLocation: Houston, TX! PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:35 pm
    ----
I have had my modem on for about 5 years now non-stop and I have never had a problem with it yet! The only time I turn off my modem is to reset it if my internet goes out...

#3: Re: Fargin' Cable Modems! Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:05 pm
    ----
Had cable modems for about 7 years now and they have all run 24/7 without any problems.

#4: Re: Fargin' Cable Modems! Author: RCAF_MadDog PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:37 pm
    ----
I dont have cable however those types of power paks are pretty much made to remain plugged in 24/7 I never unplug the ones on my cell phone cordless drill etc etc. The substance they are pack in is made to disapate the heat to the case if I aint mistaken.

#5: Re: Fargin' Cable Modems! Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:05 pm
    ----
I hope no energy conservationists are reading this...lol

#6: Re: Fargin' Cable Modems! Author: IMS_JoseCuervoLocation: NEW YORK,PARIS,LONDON,FADETTE PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:50 am
    ----
had cable a few years ago and went out constantly, many times the whole weekend with no tech support. recently after moving i ran dsl and comcast cable at the same time. the cable was only 0.25 faster and produced feeds not as smooth as my dsl with a 2 wire switch. yes i have felt your pain. S~

-> Hardware