Hey Thud Driver, are you there?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Hey Thud Driver, are you there? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:23 am
    ----
Thud Driver,
From some research I did on F105's in VietNam, I know their pilots were called "Thud Drivers". You weren't by chance one of these pilots were you? If so, where'd you fly and with what Squadron/Wings?

#2: Re: Hey Thud Driver, are you there? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:50 pm
    ----
[img][/img]
I may be Army Infantry, but I love this bird! Thats why I want to find "Thud Driver" out there.

#3: Re: Hey Thud Driver, are you there? Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:57 pm
    ----
On a related note, back about 1985-6 I was stationed at Little Rock, AFB Ark. What had to have been one of the last F-105G's in the AF inventory broke down during a transient stop there. It graced our flightline for about 6 months while a decision was made on whether or not to repair it and fly it out, or haul it out by truck. It finally left under it's own power, presumably on the way to the boneyard. Obsolescent or not, it was still an impressive bird.

David (ex-USAF Phantom Phixer 1987-9)

#4: Re: Hey Thud Driver, are you there? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:03 pm
    ----
"Wingy Thing" Alert! Aircraft dicussion in the AFV forum, sombody notify the authorities! Laughing

Now I'll have to dig out my "Wild Weasel" F-105 shot (with O-2 "push me/pull me" in the same frame) when I get home.

#5: Re: Hey Thud Driver, are you there? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:36 pm
    ----
As big and heavy as the Thud was it almost counts as Armor. A Republic built aircraft in the P-47 tradition of 'Instead of making in lighter and graceful make it big and sturdy and give it a honking big engine to get the performance you want'

#6: Re: Hey Thud Driver, are you there? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:02 pm
    ----
OK, well I focused on the O-2 because they brought us support on the ground....Wild Weasels didn't figure in our ops, so it's of secondary interest to me. I know a "WW" wouldn't likely carry iron bombs, but there's a Shrike on the left wing that you can't see.
These were taken at Hill AFB before they got their sexy new buildings to house aircraft in. I took this in '86 or '87, I believe. Looked pretty much like "in theater" (if you can imagine the Wasatch looking like Thailand).

#7: We have a neat one, here Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:32 pm
    ----
We've got a really nice G just down the road at the Pima Air Museum (Tucson, AZ). I took a ton of walk-around pics of it about 15 years back, when I still built wingy-thingies.

Doug, they used to train FACs here, so the Air Museum has some good displays of FAC stuff and A/C. Drop by sometime, and I'll join you for the visit. The museum is very much worth a trip, easily as good as the Air Force Museum in Ohio, just not quite as big (still pretty big, though).

C.

#8: Re: We have a neat one, here Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:36 pm
    ----
- C_Sherman
We've got a really nice G just down the road at the Pima Air Museum (Tucson, AZ). I took a ton of walk-around pics of it about 15 years back, when I still built wingy-thingies.

Doug, they used to train FACs here, so the Air Museum has some good displays of FAC stuff and A/C. Drop by sometime, and I'll join you for the visit. The museum is very much worth a trip, easily as good as the Air Force Museum in Ohio, just not quite as big (still pretty big, though).

C.

That's a deal, Chuck! I've been to Pima once, but had to rush. Need to take the spousal unit to see Barringer crater and Nuevo Mexico here one of these days...

#9: Re: Hey Thud Driver, are you there? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:38 am
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
This is why I am interested in F105's, and contacting "Thud Driver" inparticular. These pictures show me with the front landing gear, (thats the old bunker storage complex in the background). The pilots "attitude" ball from the instrument panel. The last picture is of the impact crater. The plane, a F105D-31-RE, serial number 62-4322, crashed 11 Feb 1964. It flew out of George AFB, Victorville, CA. It was assigned to 12thAF, 831st ADIV, 355th TFW, 421st TFS, and was flown by Maj Charles Barnett, who parachuted safely, (he landed where the current tank gunnery range is). I could go on and on about this plane, its pilot, and the unit when it served in SEA. I complied a 3 inch binder of information. Yeah its a "wingy thingy" but it was this research, that led to my interest in researching armor vehicles. My first being an M4A3 that Kurt Laughlin help me with, (immensely). And now you know "the rest of the story", as Paul Harvey would say.

-> AFV News Discussion Board