Doug, I hope you're ready for your Ft Irwin visit!
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Doug, I hope you're ready for your Ft Irwin visit! Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:03 am
    ----
Wow, did this thing snow-ball! As soon as you get here you have a meeting with the 1/11th ACR Commander, LTC Blackburn, in the Squadron HQ's. He is going to try and have G Troops CO and 1SG there as well, CPT Rayca and 1SG Squires. After that visit, we will go to the 1/11th ACR motor pool and you can see all the OPFOR vehicles as well as the Bradleys and M1's. A also imagine we can go to 2/11 and RSS motorpools as well if you wish and time permits. Thursday night might be the best night to eat at Reggies Resturant here on post.
Friday morning, Neil Morrison said to bring you to the museum at 10am, an hour before it opens so you can get the private tour. He is also very interested in photocopying any and all 11th ACR paperwork you may have for the museums collection. Then I thought we'd go to the 11th ACR's mess-hall, (dining facility as they are now called) for lunch, my treat! (if eating in a mess-hall is a treat). Then at 1300hrs, we will go to the museums storage facility where they are restoring a Huey that earned an 11th ACR soldier the CMH in VietNam. This same building has the M2 Half-Track and you are going for a ride in it in the desert area behind the motorpools. Outside the facility is an M60A3, M113A2(future ACAV) and an M578. All three are open and you can climb in. Neil also said we might be able to get inside the Sherman and some other armor on display. We can also check out the Tank Ranges, static displays, and the rest of the post in general. Maybe you'd like to see clothing sales as well. I am at you disposal.
Saturday is off to China Lakes museum and then home. I hope this visit does not let you down. I look forward to seeing you soon.

#2: Re: Doug, I hope you're ready for your Ft Irwin visit! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:34 am
    ----
Jeff...
I'm totally pumped! Got your email with the exchanges and sent a reply....wild horses couldn't keep me away...even black ones!

I'm gonna' have to clear the vid cards in my cameras and buy some more batteries!

#3: Re: Doug, I hope you're ready for your Ft Irwin visit! Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:31 am
    ----
Doug,
After speaking with you today, the Provost Marshall, Major Mack called me. He said he would post my e-mail to him, concerning your visit at the main gate and that you should have no problem getting on post. He did say to make sure you had current drivers license, registration and insurance. He also said to watch your speed on post. I figure if anything, you'll be driving slow to see everything.
I also ran into LTC Blackburn, the 1/11th Squadron Commander at the athletic fields. I reminded him of the visit Thursday and he said, "too easy, we'll be ready". He was in a hurry though to get to his sons football practice and he trotted off.
I'm still waiting on a response from the Desert Warrior, (our post newspaper). I'm not sure if they'll be there or not to cover your visit. I know the Public Affairs Officer read my e-mail so we'll just wait and see.
I live in a four-plex, govenment quarters so don't expect my "castle" to be as elaborate as I'm sure you're used to, haha. Take care.

#4: Re: Doug, I hope you're ready for your Ft Irwin visit! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:56 am
    ----
Jeff,
Excellent...I'll be printing this page out to present at the gate...ahh, the power of the internet.

Yep...I know the driving drill on post, MP's have no "latitude of error". I'll be bringing a mess o' stuff. Would like to see that G troop CO and Top for sure.

Wish Roy Lingle could be here for this...
Doug

#5: Re: Doug, I hope you're ready for your Ft Irwin visit! Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:44 am
    ----
I just e-mail Rob at China Lake. I told him we should get there about 10am Saturday. Its 122 miles and Map-Quest says its a 2hr41min drive but I think we'll make it there in 2:15 or less. I bought some 6 mile walkie-talkies today so we can communicate on the drive there. My 11 and 6 year old will be going as well. The 6 year old football game was cancelled due to all the soldiers from 1/11th getting a 4 day weekend since they just got back. I think if we leave around 7:30am we should be good to get th CL by 1000am.

#6: Re: Doug, I hope you're ready for your Ft Irwin visit! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:50 am
    ----
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

I am green with envy! Have fun and enjoy yourself.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#7: Re: Doug, I hope you're ready for your Ft Irwin visit! Author: LeeW PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:43 pm
    ----
For anyone outside the miliatry it is worth noting that you can now be ticketed for driving and talking on a cell phone at the same time.

#8: Re: Doug, I hope you're ready for your Ft Irwin visit! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:49 pm
    ----
- LeeW
For anyone outside the miliatry it is worth noting that you can now be ticketed for driving and talking on a cell phone at the same time.

An excellent policy! And you know I'll be in compliance because I don't have a cell phone.

-> AFV News Discussion Board