Doug Kibbey inspects the ranks of new armor....
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Doug Kibbey inspects the ranks of new armor.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:49 am
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
...at the National Training Centers 1/11th ACR motorpool. These vehicles, have yet to play on the NTC battlefield, having been recieved while the 11th ACR was deployed. We also looked at the the M4A3 Sherman, M26 Pershing, M551 Sheridan, a Soviet T72, and the two OPFOR Sheridans still in use by the CO and XO of the 11th ACR, (all though they were not sure they still ran after a year of sitting dormant during the deployment). Stay tuned to see more of Dougs wonderful visit to the NTC!!!!

#2: Re: Doug Kibbey inspects the ranks of new armor.... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:26 am
    ----
Hi Jeff!

Nice start!

Thanks,
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#3: Re: Doug Kibbey inspects the ranks of new armor.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:15 pm
    ----
"(all though they were not sure they still ran after a year of sitting dormant during the deployment). "

Well if they had asked I'm sure this group could have found someone to come out and take them out for a weekly spin to keep them from getting stagnant Smile

#4: Re: Doug Kibbey inspects the ranks of new armor.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:14 pm
    ----
- Tumbleweed
Note the new style track.....

I certainly did...and will be posting a close-up when I download my pics...right now, Jeff is "posting behind my back" Laughing

...and what great host...as they say, "having a wonderful time, wish you were here."

Got some goodies for you, Roy...

#5: Re: Doug Kibbey inspects the ranks of new armor.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:31 am
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
Today was a big day, one of the high lights was going to Bicycle Lake Airfield at Ft Irwin. This airfield is where the Kiowa "OC" helicopters fly out of. We went there to sight see and asked about photographing two birds on the flight line. "Sure" was the response. Then the crew chief asked if we would like the pilot to hover at 10-15 feet for us. I thought he was just being smart at first but the two birds were prepareing for a flight with the crews already in them. Doug and I stood right between the two as they spun up, took off, and hovered for us. After a wave of thanks, the SGT and SFC showed us around the hanger where 5 more Kiowas were parked. What a way to start the day, Kiowas hover for pictures! I'm sure Doug will have much better pictures, but I just had to post these "behind his back" haha. more to come.

#6: Re: Doug Kibbey inspects the ranks of new armor.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:42 am
    ----
After our visit to the museum, (those pictures will follow) and a lunch in the mess-hall, we went to the museums storage facility where they Store various vehilces and one helicopter. This 1941 M2 Half Track was pulled out for Doug to ride in. Instead, Doug was offered the chance to drive and off he went. He drove that M2 further than any individual has except for the actual driver since its been at Ft Irwin. That M2 was all spiffed up as it was just used for the CG's post meeting about a week ago.
Also outside the storage facility were the M578, M113A2, and an M60A3. As you can see, Doug wasted no time climbing on the vehicles like my 11 year old, haha, and snapping pictures, which again, I'm sure will turn out better than mine. Next picture stop, the museum.

#7: Re: Doug Kibbey inspects the ranks of new armor.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:50 am
    ----
We went to the museum one hour before it opened so Doug could get a "private" tour from Museum Director, Neil Morrison. The post newspaper, Desert Warrior showed up and took numerous pictures and interviewed Doug at the end. These pictures are propbably dark but Doug was unable to take many pictures at the time. Doug was taken into the back of the museum as well to see some items not seen by the public and to see how the museum handles and stores its collection.

#8: Re: Doug Kibbey inspects the ranks of new armor.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:11 am
    ----
While looking at the Kiowas, we saw this Cobra sitting behind a building. We were ask to take it with us! The crew chiefs said it had been sitting there for 5-6 years, without ever being moved! They said the Arizone National Guard came here for a rotation and the bird broke (how I dont know). The unit returned to Arizona without the bird, to get it at a later date. Instead the birds paperwork and "keys" were recieved in the mail with a letter basocally saying, its yours now! Doug knows more about this birds specifics but I did inform the museum here and they were quite surprised. They plan to inquire into it this week, to claim it ASAP. Like I've said before, you never know what you'll find at the NTC.

#9: Re: Doug Kibbey inspects the ranks of new armor.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:30 am
    ----
This was a highlight of the visit. Doug met with the 1/11th Squadron Commander and CSM, who gave him their newly designed coin, and a framed "Order of the Golden Spur" Certificate. This was done with the G Trp CO and 1SG present in the Squadron conference room. Then we went to the G Trp CP and Doug presented them with a framed picture of G Trp in Vietnam. The picture of Doug holding the "Gator" framed poster was from myself. These posters have become hard to find, so I was very happy to be able to give Doug this picture. It depicts the 11th ACR in WWI, WWII, Vietnam, and current day. This was at Reggies, the post restuarant, service sucked but the company more than made up for it.

#10: Re: Doug Kibbey inspects the ranks of new armor.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:38 am
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
Ok, this is the final installment of the visit to Fort Irwin saga. Early this morning, we went to the Irwin tank gunnery range to look at its 4-5k range to the distant mountain. Then we drove by the Goldstone Deep Space Complex. As I said earlier, you never know what you'll find laying around Ft Irwin. This is a 250lb ??? INERT bomb found laying behind a motorpool. Nice item for display if I do say so myself, I wonder where it is now!!?? The last picture is of your truely with the man of the hour posing with the M2.
The only pictures to follow will be from China Lake, Saturdays tour. Stay tuned for the final chapter of this visit.

#11: Re: Doug Kibbey inspects the ranks of new armor.... Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:49 am
    ----
You lucky bum! Smile What a way to spend a day. Gonna have to dig my photos out of my trip to NTC in 1987 and scan them. Thanks Jeff and Doug for this "tour" of duty!

#12: Re: Doug Kibbey inspects the ranks of new armor.... Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:44 pm
    ----
What's in the yellow binder in front of CPT Rayca?

Smile

KL

#13: Re: Doug Kibbey inspects the ranks of new armor.... Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:26 pm
    ----
Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing.

#14: Re: Doug Kibbey inspects the ranks of new armor.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:25 am
    ----
- Kurt_Laughlin
What's in the yellow binder in front of CPT Rayca?

Smile

KL

Top Secret....can't tell ya'. Wink

#15: Re: Doug Kibbey inspects the ranks of new armor.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:31 am
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
Doug and I, along with my two sons went to China Lake and met Rob Roche for our "Nickel" tour. Although there was no armor, there was more than enough to blow it up. The front of the building as you walkin looks unassuming, once inside is a different story. There was no way to photograph everything, so here are just a few, I hope they aren't to dark. Thats a Harpoon Missile and an AGM84H with my 6 year old Morgan. My 11 year old Jeffrey is standing against a Tomahawk Cruise Missile. The dark photo is an M12 Atomic bomb, (later model of the ones dropped on Japan) and a GBU-24B. There is also a BAT from 1944-45 if I remember correctly. Rob is the expert here, so if I'm wrong, correct me.
Real nice visit more pictures of the "Wingy Things" coming shortly.

-> AFV News Discussion Board