Danish armoured Harley Davidson motorcycles. I kid you not.
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Danish armoured Harley Davidson motorcycles. I kid you not. Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:43 am
    ----

The Danish goverment between the wars was not generous with any military budget. So the army came up with the idea of "The Armored Motorbike". The Swedish factory Landsverk AB built the armor to the drawings made by the Danish army, and it was put on top of a Harley Davidson armed with a light machinegun. This was more than even a Harley could cope with. It was difficult to control on ordinary road, and a 3x1 vehicle with overloaded suspension wasn't impressive in terrain. It was decided to abandon the project.

(From : mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/...nmark.html )

#2: Re: Danish armoured Harley Davidson motorcycles. I kid you n Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:58 am
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
I found this bike just now. It was at the 4th July 2005, Fillmore, CA., Star Spangled Banner Car Show. This is a German BMW with the following caption placed below the picture;

"It had everything, machine guns, ammo, gas cans, canteens, rifles, burp guns, and pulled 2 small trailers with more battle ground stuff."

Can anyone ID any of the stuff on this bike? I hope the picture quality is OK.

#3: Re: Danish armoured Harley Davidson motorcycles. I kid you not. Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:34 am
    ----
The trailers look like 'Kettenkraftrad' Trailers.

I see a mounted MG34 and the MG42 is in the trailer.

Talk about kick,....The MG42 will put you in the dirt. It has to be grounded or mounted. It'll 'skootch' you back in the prone position.... REAL fun to fire, though.

AMMO!!!!

#4: Re: Danish armoured Harley Davidson motorcycles. I kid you n Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:24 am
    ----
Hmmmm.....there looks to be a Panzerfaust at the back of the sidecar (on top of the spare wheel), and in front of that is another machine gun. You can see the buttstock right by the Panzerfaust. Another MG34?

#5: Re: Danish armoured Harley Davidson motorcycles. I kid you not. Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:21 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

I haven't not seen any historical photos of that configurion.

I wonder what the current owner based all that on?

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#6: Re: Danish armoured Harley Davidson motorcycles. I kid you not. Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:11 pm
    ----
Danish Nimbus antitank motorcycle with 20mm Madsen cannon 1939-40:

David

#7: Re: Danish armoured Harley Davidson motorcycles. I kid you n Author: zundappukLocation: Behind the Westwall, really! PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:24 pm
    ----
Jeff,

Oh dear that "German" bike is a dogs dinner!

The first trailer is an IF8 WWII German trailer, the last one I think is a postwar Swiss trailer. But the bike, thats as German as a "Bortsch".

Its none other than a post-war Russian Machine masqerading as the real deal.

I do know what I am talking about, I have a Zundapp KS750 and have owned a BMW R75.

David

#8: Re: Danish armoured Harley Davidson motorcycles. I kid you n Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:09 pm
    ----
- zundappuk
Jeff,

Its none other than a post-war Russian Machine masqerading as the real deal.

I do know what I am talking about, I have a Zundapp KS750 and have owned a BMW R75.

David

A Ural, I'm guessing. See 'em around the U.S. some now...importer is in Washington State, I believe.

www.motorcycle.com/mo/.../ural.html

www.imz-ural.com/

-> AFV News Discussion Board