[Solved] Slowwwww internet speeds :(
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Hardware

#1: [Solved] Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:00 am
    ----
I have a 3 mg down cable internet connection and I'm only getting speeds of 400 kbs to 900 kbs when they should be averaging 2.5 mbs. I spent 3 hours on the phone with my ISP provider and thier conclusion is they couldn't help me. They did Netstat, Trace route, Looked into my modem and had me bypass my router and go directly from puter to modem. All no help. I have ran Adaware Pro, FSecure, MS AntiSpyware, The Cleaner, Reg Mechanic, XoftSpy, AVG Antivirus, MS Malicious Softeware Removal Tool and updated Windows patches. Nothing was found! Well almost nothing a few little tracking cookies but they were removed. Out of curiosity I ran a speed test on the Mrs puter which is also hooked up to the router and she is getting the 2.5 mbs down so this makes me about 100% sure the prob is in my puter. I released the ip and renewed it, went into MSconfig startup and stopped 2 things running I didn't need ..all the other stuff not needed was already turned off only about 5 items in there running. I uninstalled the NIC card which is onbaord and reinstalled it, Put a brand new Cat6 cable in and changed the port it was plugged into and still no good. I'm sure there was a few more things tried but I'm lost!

My Puter is a HP Media Center m1160n,
AMD64 3400+,
200 gig HD with 160 gig second HD,
1.5 gigs PC3200 ram,
LeadTec 6800 GT vid card.
SIS 900 NIC card with up to date drivers
Bios updated a few months ago,
DX9c

#2: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:18 am
    ----
Hi Homey,

erm.............did you try tossing out the networkcard and re-installing it ??

Seem to me that there could be a lil snag there, go to properties, hardware and delete the networkcard there, when it reboots then it will "find" the networkcard again and install the drivers for it.....................

hope it helps

fled

#3: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: RCAF_MadDog PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:10 am
    ----
- Shadow_Homfixr
I uninstalled the NIC card which is onbaord and reinstalled it, Put a brand new Cat6 cable in and changed the port it was plugged into and still no good.

Yep Fled he did

#4: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:32 am
    ----
Update...Did some speed test on the Mrs's Puter late last night and found it was also getting slower speeds now!!! Hmmmm I'm really cornfused. Could my modem being going bad? Could it be my router? Could it be my ISP? Oh the joys and disapointments of puters...lol. I think I'm gonna try a new modem first, then a new router, then call my isp back or should I call first, a new router, then modem...no maybe router, then call, then modem, oh sh*t where do I go....LOL I'm lost!

#5: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:53 am
    ----
LOL Homy! Plug in straight to the modem and bypass the router and try testing again. If there's no change, I would suspect the modem or ISP. Wink

#6: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:00 pm
    ----
Something's going on.
I belong to BYO (www.BuildYourOwn.org.uk) and we've been discussing this recently.
We mostly have different ISP's and we've all noticed our feed's have been halved of late.
I wrote a complaint to my ISP last Saturday and they replied tonight saying they won't explain in writing and I have to call them on a special number. LOL. Cloak n Dagger stuff, huh?

#7: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:40 pm
    ----
Possibly by coincidence.....

My wireless connection was noticeably VERY slow last night.

I also noted that my router has "lost" it's password and the wireless connection is now the defualt ("Linksys") and not the name it has been running under for quite some time.

My router was powered off for a length of time not very long ago and it looks like it lost all it's setup info. Possibly, until I can set it back up (and do the "clone MAC Address" thing and all) this could be my own problem.

Or it could be the same thing. Just mentioning it!

#8: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:07 am
    ----
Ok, I bought a new modem and low and behold my isp company couldn't get it to work because their signal was all meesed up......IMAGINE THAT!!!! He said that it would Monday night before they could get here so I told him to set my old modem back up becaused it works even if it is slow. Maybe it was their prob all along. I guess I will find out Monday night until then my slow connection will just have to do. Thnx for the help guys and hopefully I will not need to ask for further assistance. I will let ya'll know what happened on Tuesday.

#9: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:20 am
    ----
Homey... ask Banshee to borrow his Doberman to greet the cable guy at the door lol....

#10: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:24 pm
    ----
This article isn't directly about this problem, but I wonder if it goes some way to explaining some of the problems more and more of the folks I speak with seem to be experiencing.
www.theregister.co.uk/...pe_limits/

Btw, my ISP deny there's any problem with my 1Mb line reporting back at (now) between 200 - 600KBps.
Sad

#11: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:45 pm
    ----
Interesting read there Shades. I hope it is the cable company's signal just out side of my home like it was a year ago when I had the same prob and not the fact that there is a large university right down the street from me with all those students using up the bandwith on P2P. Even Tho I'm a little guilty of using P2P myself...lol. I guess Monday will tell the story and I will post the results here.

#12: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:05 pm
    ----
Well the cable came and went and believe it or not he said thier signal was fine and that it must be a backbone server problem betwwen me and the cable company.....arrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhh!!! He tried the new modem but it wouldn't work and said it must be bad. He tried his own modem and still got slow speeds. He did a speed test on the Mrs's puter and it did just fine @ 2.4 mbs on one test then down to 980kbs on the next. He did about a dozen speed test on mine hook to router and hooked directly to modem and all test came up from 170kbs to 320 kbs...mostly in the high 100's end. I don't know what causes that he said and it must be a sever issue. Packed his stuff up and said we can't help you and left...aaaaarrrrggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!! What's person to do? Reformat my HD and hope that fixes the problem. It's got be my puter I think. Any ideas?

#13: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:04 am
    ----
figure this bt telecom uk were caught limiting bandwidth randomly, this only came about once a employee got booted n pointed this out, i'm sure others do it to free up space, my guess is if you have a quiet spell using your isp your easy meat for them, low usage users would probably never get to notice either, pester isp and point out they better not be limiting your service or your contacting your govs watchdog, i betcha that works!

like you said the mrs puters slowing up to so that boots the pc being the problem,

contact isp n mention limiting bandwidth is illeagal get them to do full check on line and give it you in writing , if they dont comply why?

say banshee told u to do it if they get funny lol

#14: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: Hangman PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:02 pm
    ----
man..makes me appreciate my 2.4 MBS connection that much more

Smile

#15: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: RCAF_MadDog PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:21 am
    ----
Makes me really love my 5meg DSL connection that it almost always 4.2 to 4.6 down Smile Smile

And if one computer is good on that line I would tend to think the problem is your computer Homey. If it was the line it should affect both at all times I would think.

-> Hardware