Yet another AFV quiz!
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Yet another AFV quiz! Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:41 pm
    ----

#2: Re: Yet another AFV quiz! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:01 pm
    ----
That is a good one. For some reason I'd want to say it looks French...

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: Yet another AFV quiz! Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:05 pm
    ----
Have no idea but to me it looks like a movie mockup. I can't pull up tthe detail enough to really look at the writing but I lean toward a cyrillic alphabet.

I think we are looking at a movie prop and set from the 20s or 30's

#4: Re: Yet another AFV quiz! Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:10 pm
    ----
Thats what I thought, a movie prop. Perhaps from Soviet Union in the 20's or 30's?

#5: Re: Yet another AFV quiz! Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:13 pm
    ----
Nope, nope, and nope. Although I agree it certainly looks like a mockup, it was apparently for real.

This may be too broad a hint, but the French and the Soviets were both supporters of the using army.

David

#6: Re: Yet another AFV quiz! Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:15 pm
    ----
Belgium?

#7: Re: Yet another AFV quiz! Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:17 pm
    ----
Spanish Civil War?

Jeff Lewis

#8: Re: Yet another AFV quiz! Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:18 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Belgium?

Nope. Wrong side of France, geographically speaking.

David

#9: Re: Yet another AFV quiz! Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:20 pm
    ----
- piney
Spanish Civil War?

Jeff Lewis

Bingo! We have a winner!

Any of you guys translate very well?

"Este extraño carro de combate fue fotografiado en la carretera de Huesca (Barbastro). Estaba armado con una ametralladora montada en una torreta giratoria. en el lateral de las cadenas lleva inscrito lo siguiente "Grupo de Construcción Tanques de Barbastro".

El misterio sobre este extraño tanque ha quedado por fin resuelto gracias al artículo "Blindados republicanos de fabricación artesanal 'El modelo Barbastro´" de Luis Alfonso Arcarazo García, gracias a los datos facilitados por su propio constructor, D. Constancio Rámiz. Hemos adoptado el nombre que propone el autor del artículo al que hacemos referencia para este blindado que nos parece muy adecuado: "Carro Modelo Barbastro".

Para saber más sobre su historia y características de construcción aconsejamos leer este artículo, que podrá encontrar en:

www.barranque.com/guer...anques.htm "

David

#10: Re: Yet another AFV quiz! Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:20 pm
    ----
I'll agree with 'Piney' (Love the Avatar, BTW)

Spanish Nationalists?

...Supporters...
...Wrong side of France...

Thats the ticket!

#11: Re: Yet another AFV quiz! Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:24 pm
    ----
- Dontos
I'll agree with 'Piney' (Love the Avatar, BTW)

Spanish Nationalists?

...Supporters...
...Wrong side of France...

Thats the ticket!

Republicans, actually. The Nationalists were the guys with all the German and Italian equipment. I'm curious what the story behind this vehicle is and I don't read Spanish all that well.

David

#12: Re: Yet another AFV quiz! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:27 pm
    ----
Here's Altavista's very rough translation (often more amusing than helpful):

"Tank in the Highway of Huesca with the legend "Group Construction of Barbastro Tanks", possibly is the made one in Barbastro.

"The model was very similar to the one of the photography, but the constructed one in Barbastro did not go fairing, being the chains to the air. In order to equal its aspect, since its construction took control of diverse materials, a grayish painting layer occurred him. Reviewing the diverse cars of the time we can say that its aspect was similar to the car to the light Tank Trubia or to the Euzkadi, with the centered cylindrical turret, although the "single Barbastro" had a machine gun, and had to be greater to give capacity to four crew members."

#13: Re: Yet another AFV quiz! Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:37 pm
    ----
Trying to scan through the linked article, about all I could make out was that it used Oruga agricultural tractor parts and an American engine.

David

#14: Re: Yet another AFV quiz! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:39 pm
    ----
This page seems to indicate it was of local manufacture:

republicaomuerte.iespa...bastro.htm

Spanish:

"Este extraño carro de combate fue fotografiado en la carretera de Huesca (Barbastro). Estaba armado con una ametralladora montada en una torreta giratoria. en el lateral de las cadenas lleva inscrito lo siguiente "Grupo de Construcción Tanques de Barbastro".

"El misterio sobre este extraño tanque ha quedado por fin resuelto gracias al artículo "Blindados republicanos de fabricación artesanal 'El modelo Barbastro´" de Luis Alfonso Arcarazo García, gracias a los datos facilitados por su propio constructor, D. Constancio Rámiz. Hemos adoptado el nombre que propone el autor del artículo al que hacemos referencia para este blindado que nos parece muy adecuado: "Carro Modelo Barbastro"."

Babelfish translation:

"This strange car battle was photographed in the highway of Huesca (Barbastro). It was armed with a machine gun mounted in a revolving turret. in the lateral one of the chains it takes enrolled to the following "Group of Construction Tanks of Barbastro".

"The mystery on this strange tank has been finally solved republican thanks to the article "Armored of artisan manufacture ' the Barbastro´ model" of Luis Alfonso Arcarazo Garci'a, thanks to the data facilitated by its own constructor, D. Constancio Rámiz. We have adopted the name that the author of the article proposes to which we make reference for this armoring that seems to us very suitable: "Car Barbastro Model"."

Neil

#15: Re: Yet another AFV quiz! Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:48 pm
    ----
Another tractor-based "tank" from the same conflict:

The FAI were the Spanish Anarchist political party and the CNT was a major trade/labor syndicate.

David

-> AFV News Discussion Board