LVTH-6 : photos of hull top and turret top needed.
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: LVTH-6 : photos of hull top and turret top needed. Author: Christophe_Jacquemont PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:10 am
    ----
It isn't much of a change actually, at least externally, just a different superstructure on the rear deck over the engine compartment. This structure is the same on LVTP5A1s so I do have reference for that.

That said, if anyone has photos of the top of hull and/or top of turret of a LVTH6 or LVTH6A1 I'm still VERY interested! Smile

Cheers,
Christophe

#17: Re: LVTH-6 : photos of hull top and turret top needed. Author: oldtop PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:37 am
    ----
The major differance between the LVTP5 and the LVTP5A1 and family that you could see from the outside was the air intake and exhaust housing (called the "doghouse " by the "tracktor rats") on the rear upper deck, the other major mod was the new "dropgear" assembly in the engine compartment , Ps, command, "Rs", and engineer version also had a small vision port above the side exscape hatch. Later the heavy duty roadwheels developed for the engineer version were installed on all the family. The reason there are two load-outs for ammo on the "How6" is with a full 150 round load the vehicle was a submarine as it came off the LST or LPH ships and the engine was starving for air, when the engine stopped the hyd bilge pumps went out and all you had to stay afloat was one very small eletrical pump and it shorted out as soon as the seawater hit it. I guess I should add that for two years I built these vehicles at Barstow Ca USMC rebuild center Yermo.

#18: Re: LVTH-6 : photos of hull top and turret top needed. Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:41 am
    ----
The LVTH6A1 has a raised engine deck section..

Give me a couple of days Christophe I'll see what I can dig out from my reserve filling system (2 cubic metres of images)

Cool

#19: Re: LVTH-6 : photos of hull top and turret top needed. Author: KenEstes PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:54 pm
    ----
Only slightly different than the one in Hunnicutt Bradley, but a later serial number: from Zaloga's US Amp Asslt Veh (Osprey, 1987), 34.

I do not have the rest of the field manual, and a TM would most likely be in the hands of the test branch archives at Cp Pendleton or the USMC Museum, Quantico. Good luck, Ken

-> AFV News Discussion Board