AFVID
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: AFVID Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:12 pm
    ----
Going thru some old vehicle ID slides....

"Nomenclature, Country, Main Armament..."

Too easy, but neat photo.

Don

#2: Re: AFVID Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:20 pm
    ----
I'm gonna' abstain...unfair advantage and all.... Mr. Green

#3: Re: AFVID Author: Christophe_Jacquemont PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:08 pm
    ----
M60A2.

Nice photo!

Cheers,
Christophe

#4: Re: AFVID Author: RhinoLocation: Oregon, USA PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:09 pm
    ----
M60A2, USA, 152mm

#5: Re: AFVID Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:40 pm
    ----
That was the easy beginning:

Now try these...

Enjoy,
Don

#6: Re: AFVID Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:00 pm
    ----
Hey Dontos,
Did you appropriate these slides from the Master Gunner school house at Knox? Look very familiar with the exception of the last slide. I will pass on the contest.

Joe D

#7: Re: AFVID Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:18 am
    ----
Actually several years ago, a neighbor was 'cleaning house' and gave me several hundred slides. I have just started going thru them. Most likely you are correct.

The last one is only a few years old.

Anyone got a clue what #5 is?

Don

#8: Re: AFVID Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:23 am
    ----
An Ontos with an attitude? Rolling Eyes

#9: Re: AFVID Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:43 am
    ----
OK, I'll play,
UDESS XX20, Sweden, 120mm Gun. Was an experimental that I believe came out 15 years ago. It's one of those stump the chump pictures you use for that smart ass young troop during AFVID. I always liked showing the Cheiftain with no skirts playing aggressor.

Joe D

#10: Re: AFVID Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:14 am
    ----
It's NOT quite the UDES-XX-20, see the image below, but somebody's artistic licence of the same or similar.........

Regards,

BUG

#11: Re: AFVID Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:19 am
    ----
That's the picture we used, I think it came out of Military Technology Magazine or something like that.

Thanks Bug,

Joe D

#12: Re: AFVID Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:21 am
    ----
Damn, they actually built that thing...!?

Actually I believe the drawing may have been a concept drawing.

It sure looks like dual - mini Marders,....

Thanks Bug'

Don

#13: Re: AFVID Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:57 am
    ----
Taking a stab..... (Not looking up anything, so please be gentle with me.)

1) Maybe an MBT-70?
2) AMX-30
3) Marder?
4) M60 (early) having a very bad day?
5) Nope, not even going to guess. (Looks Swedish.)
6) AMX-40?
7) M48A5?
Cool Mostly T-62s? No idea abot the one at the front of the line.

Soooo.....have i just singled myself out for being a moron? (If not, i'm sure i can provide more evidence.)

#14: Re: AFVID Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:19 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

1. Chieftain, British, rifled 120mm cannon
2. AMX-30, French, 105mm, but not the NATO L-7 type.
3. Marder IFV, 20mm auto cannon in center turret, 7.62 mm machine gun in a rear pod.
4. M-60A1, USA, 105mm, I agree, looks like it is having a bad day.
5. Never saw that drawing before, but do remember seeing the photo that Buglerbilly posted.
Didn't remember country or weapon size
6. EE-T2 Osorio, Brazil, I think that is the 120mm version rather that the 105mm type.
Check out the end connectors on both sides of the tracks....duck bills. Surprised
7. M-60, IDF, 105
8. First vehicle, Iraqi copy of a Chinese APC (I think).
Next five tanks, the 'V' shaped splash board would make them T-72s, Iraqi, 120mm

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#15: Re: AFVID Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:41 am
    ----
I wondered if #4 was an Israeli M-60A1. I know they replaced the commanders cupola to reduce the height on most of their vehicles but I was wondering if the picture is from the '73 war when they received a bunch of vehicles in a rush resupply from U.S. stocks and may have used some without extensive modifications

Other than that who am I to question our scout Smile

-> AFV News Discussion Board